PDA

View Full Version : Water chiller help

ultralo1
05-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Well as you can see I am a newbie here and I hope this is in the right section.

I mostly work on scientific refrigeration, but I have inherited a 20ton water chiller that is used to help keep a MRI magnet cool. It is a dual compressor setup and uses R22. It runs on one compressor until it cannot handle the load then the second kicks in. The water temp that we are trying to maintain is 40F. The second does not come in until water temp is 56F. There are four condensor fans, 2 for each compressor, and they are cycled with the compressor contactors. At the evaporator, shell and tube, they have a Hot gas regulator, set for 58psig, after the TXV. The suction line comes from the evap, through a CPR and back to the comps. The compressors are in parralle to each other, Common suction and discharge lines.

After I inherted it we get a trouble call. I find that the hot gas line has been shut off at the valve behind the hot gas regulator. I turn on the valve and all is good. I talk with the customer and find out that they had to call in a tech at least twice a year, once in spring and once in fall. I went and checked the hotgas regulator and it would not adjust. I told the customer that we would have to change it out. I called the manufacter and he stated that that the system had a design problem and I would need to install a time delayed Normally closed solenoid valve on the hotgas line as to allow head pressure to build up pass the 58psig as to keep the regulator closed. I did all of that. system worked great untill the other day when our outside temp dropped below 15F. I went and checked the system and the regulator was standing open and bypassing the condesor all together, water temp was 60F. I disconnected the solenoid and allowed the valve to close. Everything went back to normal.

So my question is what is causing this unit to go into hot gas bypass and hang there?

Low Charge? site glass is full.

NoNickName
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Low condensing pressure, and no condensing control are the problem. Fans should be cycled on compressor AND pressure switch in series. When compressor is on AND pressure is > max_pressure (let's say 15 bar?) then start fans. If compressor is on AND pressure is > min_pressure (let's say 14?) then stop fans.

Of course YMMV. Condensing control can be regulated in many more refined way.

KlaasR
05-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Thats correct, because of continuous condensor fan operation, the pressure will drop too far by cold weather.
A simple Kp5(2pcs) from danfoss cut in at 15,5 cut out at 13,5bar. second fan, cut in at 16 and cut out 14,5bar.
press setting for the evap press is ok at 58psig.

Regards,

Klaas.

Low condensing pressure, and no condensing control are the problem. Fans should be cycled on compressor AND pressure switch in series. When compressor is on AND pressure is > max_pressure (let's say 15 bar?) then start fans. If compressor is on AND pressure is > min_pressure (let's say 14?) then stop fans.

Of course YMMV. Condensing control can be regulated in many more refined way.

ultralo1
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. It will be a few days before I can get to it. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

absrbrtek
08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
To answer your question, the time delay wasn't long enough would be my first thought. Two things I would do. Put the HGBP solenoid coil on either outlet water temp or return water temp and keep it closed until the chiller is about 5 degreees above setpoint. Adjust this setting until you get it to where your problem will go away. There is no need for the HGBP to be open until your near setpoint. Secondly I would put some kind of low ambient fan control on the units. JMHO

ultralo1
12-05-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey folks I finally think that I have gotten everything straightened out. We did go ahead and put fan controls on the system and that helped with the ambient temp problems. Then the new compressor locked up. We changed it out. Next came the MRI system alarming on low flow. We were down to 9L/mn. That was not enough for the system to operate. The manufacturer suggested to backflush the heat exchanger with acid. Well we turned into plumbers. Everything was 2inch hard copper lines going to the 3 inch pipe nipples on the HX. You could not rod out the HX. After we got through the flow rate went up to 60L/mn.

I just wanted to give evrybody an update and also say thanks for the help.

taz24
12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I just wanted to give evrybody an update and also say thanks for the help.

Sounds like you have inherated a lemon.
It would appear that the previous maint company just kept bodging the repair instead of doing it corectly.
At least you have done the job right.

taz.