PDA

View Full Version : van speed linits

andrew lennon
03-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Is everyone aware of the speed limit?I drive a Renault master the limit is 50mph where it is 60 for cars,dual carriageway it is 60 for my vehicle.copper said if I had a window in the side rear of van it would be the same as cars.I have been driving too fast for ages now.This is too slow for me to get about.

Latte
03-02-2007, 09:21 PM
I am afraid so. Look at the tax disc on youre van.
It SHOULD be taxed as a light goods vehicle, Thats puts you on
50mph Single carrageway
60mph Duel
70mph Motorway

Police have certain hot spots where they like to book van drivers. The A421 off the M1 at Jn13 (I Think its 13 anyway) going into Milton Keynes. They catch lots there. A collegue of mine who was in a Renault Belindo (Postman Pat type van) got done there, He thought it was the same as cars as the van was the same size, but the policeman pointed out how it was taxed.
What a nice man :eek:

Happy Driving

Fatboy (Still Pointless)

Brian_UK
03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Interesting thread as I've just, for the first time ever, been caught with a scamera van in our next village.

Ray, I'm surprised at your friend with the Berlingo as it is a 'car derived van under 2000kgs' which means that it is capable of the normal car speed limits.

See somewhere such as
http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/dcsc/educadvi/spedlimi.htm for the speed limit info and here
http://www.thevanwebsite.co.uk/van-types-small-car-derived-vans.asp for the CDVans.

Yep, been done for 36 in a 30 limit which to be honest is unlike me. I normally respect all the limits except dual and Mway limits. But there's no excuse really, I've got a reason for speeding but not an excuse.

The reason is simple - I took my eye off the ball. Anyway, had the offer of a Driver Awareness Course for the same cost as a ticket but an unmarked licence.

It's a bit like the M&S adverts isn't it? This is no ordinary van, this is a car derived, fully turbocharged, van... etc. etc

Latte
04-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry Brian, My Mistake, it was a Vauxhall Combo ???

I have now stopped getting speeding tickets, just get parking ones instead now. Cambridge city centre is a no go area after 10am, go one min over and theres a ticket on youre screen and Norwich build all these nice new pubs and shops in the town centre once again with strict time limits on them.

If they cant get you one way they will get you the other

Regards

Fatboy

chillin out
04-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Dam... I thought it was
70mph Single carrageway
80mph Duel
90mph Motorway

....lol,

Chillin:) :)

Latte
04-02-2007, 01:17 AM
Dam... I thought it was
70mph Single carrageway
80mph Duel
90mph Motorway

....lol,

Chillin:) :)

You Obviously dont come down to the M25 very often
The comapny have just bought me a nice new 6 speed van, dont think its gone above 4th on the M25 since i have had it. Then theres always the question "Whys it taken 3 hours to get from Cambridge to High Wycombe"

Here;s a thought though, I can drive a 70 Seater coach fully loaded at the same speed as a small van and not break the law, Wheres the sense in that.

regards

Fatboy

aawood1
04-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi rdocwra, Try the back end of the end of the good old A11 one hour to do Cambridge to Norwich on a good day.
all the best from Norfolk.

Latte
04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Tell me about it. Got called out to Norwich city centre yesterday afternoon. Followed all the day trippers up the A11 only to find Norwich at a standstill. Then i tried to leave at 5:30 and got home at 7pm.
Anyone would think the Canaries were popular :D

Regards

Fatboy

Brian_UK
04-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Here;s a thought though, I can drive a 70 Seater coach fully loaded at the same speed as a small van and not break the law, Wheres the sense in that.Aah, but can you get 70 mates in the back of a van ??

Since looking into these scamera operations it occured to me that perhaps I should complain about my "ooman Rights". I mean, as a car or van driver I am victimised in comparision to a lorry driver.

The fixed camera, say on a single carriageway, will record anyone going above 60mph. But what about the lorry driver who, at 60mph, is driving at 20mph above his speed limit.

I'm off to the EU Court I think to try my luck. What do you think?

Latte
04-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Brian,
As a former coach driver i have no objection to these cameras being used :D

The thing i do object to is stupid drivers :eek:

Example: A505 A1 @ Letchworth heading towards Royston and Cambridge. DUEL CARRAGEWAY so 70 limit for cars, Cameras everwhere. Happily driving along 65 (ISH) and car drivers STILL brake when they get up to the cameras even though they are already below the 70 limit. What do they think the camera is set up at 60 or something.

Anyway, Billy Joel just started singing must go. Whats Johno doing presenting american football :eek:

Ray

Brian_UK
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Enjoy.... and goodnight ;)

davej
05-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi all , sore point for me still, just before xmas i was doing 70 on the A1 and got nicked, as the limit for the van was 60 , i didnt realise that on the A1, but i checked and yep its true.
60 pounds and 3 points for ignorance i guess