PDA

View Full Version : working on oil rigs

andrew lennon
03-02-2007, 08:50 PM
I hate oil rigs I get sent to work on them when they are parked up here.They are very high and the only acces is usually up temp scaffolding on the side.you carry what you think you may need all the way up the stairs only to find you need something else.the blokes on board are usually great but thet are used to it.Lookind down through rusty grills to the sea way down below.A lot of the gear is years old often patched up by the multi tasking blokes on board while at sea.(say no more on that) You have to work in a hard hat and goggles sweating like buggery going up and down the scaffolding and in and out of corridors.No I much prefer dry land give me a plant room at the top of a supermarket any day well moan over its a job I suppose.

Brian_UK
03-02-2007, 11:00 PM
There, there Andy, feel better now that's off your chest I hope. :)

Must admit, never been on one and never want too.

Latte
04-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi Andrew,
What sort of equipment do they have on the rigs.
Assume they need a/c in comms rooms and obviously fridges and freezers in the galley. any big industrial stuff on there. The sea air must play havoc with the condensers.
What a call out that would be though.
A/C failure in comms room
location: 150 east of Aberdeen in the middle of the north sea. Would you still have to pay company van tax on a helicopter ?:D

Regards

fatboy

slingblade
04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
What sort of equipment do they have on the rigs.

Pretty much the same as we all encounter on dry land, except it's mostly EEXD (explosion proof) rated.
As the old question goes, what has four legs and goes woof?;)

Andy
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
There, there Andy, feel better now that's off your chest I hope. :)

Must admit, never been on one and never want too.

Hi Brian:)

I have only worked on one once, they flew me out on a helicoper (it was only doing sea trials in Belfast harbour, but the hoist was not passed for carrying people). My gear came by boat two hours later. Spent the time in the canteen eating german sausages;)

Boat came with my gear, gased up the coldroom, helicoper landed and they dragged me off, had to leave them my gas and gauges as they were heading for the North Sea:o

Food was good, fridges were crap and I got paid overtime for stuffing my face in the canteen.

Probably the only time I am likely to be on an oil rig:D

Kind Regards Andy:)

andrew lennon
24-02-2007, 07:59 PM
the only good thing about oil rigs is if you can make it work for long enough for it to bugger off again your ok.
on a german coast guard ship yesterday.chief engineer had a big bottle of r404a connected with a gauge line
no gauges,to the valve on the discharge.this is how I fill it up he said.I try squirt some in I squirt out still cant get it to work.I see much air in the sight glass shall we squirt it all out again in case too much air in it??then he takes me to the tevs and says I clean out the capsules with clean oil.still wont work.I felt like jumping over the side.where do you start?

SteveCass
06-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Don't jump, chuck the chief over the side first!

:D

frank
06-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Got to say that I've spent some time working on the rigs. Mostly while they were being built up in Glasgow at the John Brown shipyard, Dundee and Linlithgo (sp) I think that was the place (up to edinburgh, across the bridge, turn right :)

Even did a short spell off shore (Yarmouth) when the rig was shipped out, to do the hook up and commissioning. Geez, helicopters are noisey and uncomfortable.

Long time ago now - was an experience - and don't want to do it again :D

Jase
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
The incentive for working offshore is that the money can be very good. Also the workshift pattern, 2 on 2 off or ad-hoc. It all depends on peoples circumstances.

Jase