PDA

View Full Version : Acidic oil

stevec
27-04-2002, 04:34 AM
In reading between the lines of some of the threads I can almost anticipate some of the answers.
But has anyone tried the additive Acid away by rectorseal.
It's an additive to chemically neutralise acids after burnouts,or such.
t seems to have wraps, well it would. for some satisfied customers I believe trane recommend it's use it according to the hype from the supplier. Just wondering what you guys think

Prof Sporlan
27-04-2002, 03:02 PM
The Prof might be a bit biased on this subject, but he believes he reiterates what most of the folks on this forum consider appropriate service practice regarding this subject. This can be summarized as follows:

1. Avoid adding anything to the refrigerant or oil.... The chemistry resulting from using these additives can have unintended consequences.

2. To maintain a dry and acid free system, you are far better off using a filter-drier having suitable acid and water capacity.

dwallan
28-04-2002, 07:12 PM
I believe it works by reverting the acid back to moisture, it does not actually remove any moisture, so if you do not follow good refrigeration practice and use the approporiate clean up driers it will return after a period of time.

A more cynical person could say that it is a gimmick to fool acid test kits.

David Allan

condenseddave
03-05-2002, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by dwallan

A more cynical person could say that it is a gimmick to fool acid test kits.

And that person would be me.:cool:

AI feel that acidaway is as much snake oil as thawzone. Good drier practice and oil changes eliminate problems masked by these chemicals.

Dan
04-05-2002, 01:22 AM
I have used acid away and another similar product out of desperation on really fouled up large systems. Heck, I have used thawzone (meaning I have techs that use it) a number of times.

If something good could be said about acid away it is that the Ph of the fluids is reset to what we hope is closer to neutral. It buys time and hopefully prevents damage in the short term. In extreme circumstances, I use it. But then oil changes, filter changes with hh driers, for as long as a month.

I now wonder if molecular seive driers would trap the detritus of neutralized acids more effectively than combo alumina gel/molecular seive driers. Hmmm.

Prof Sporlan
04-05-2002, 11:37 PM
I now wonder if molecular seive driers would trap the detritus of neutralized acids more effectively than combo alumina gel/molecular seive driers. Hmmm.

Dan, of course, you simply mean "alumina/molecular sieve" filter-driers. Silica gel isn't used any longer as a desiccant in refrigeration filter-driers, at least U.S. manufacturers no longer use it.... :)

The "detritus" of neutralized acids is invariably water. Yes, moelcular sieve has a high water capacity, and would be effective when used with an acid neutralizer. Unfortunaltely, molecular sieve has a low acid capacity. Far better to use an alumina/molecular sieve filter-drier, and take care of both problems... :)

Dan
07-05-2002, 01:21 AM
The "detritus" of neutralized acids is invariably water.

I thought there might be some salts, as well.

zolar1
07-05-2002, 04:36 AM
It makes you wonder if you might as well open an accumulator and toss in a rock......

condenseddave
07-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Maybe a hunk of coral...:D

Preston Roy Powell
17-06-2002, 02:32 PM
I have used acid away when we have a real bad burn out. But I also replace drier plus install suction filter drier, new refrigerant. Then After 24 to 48 hours( depends on how large of system) we retest the oil,. If system test bad We change the oil, add acid away, and new filters again. WE also use acid driers for burnout to clean the system up..

Gibson
19-06-2002, 03:48 AM
Continous acid tests - Oil and drier changes until the system tests clear... Hold the additives!

FreezerGeezer
19-06-2002, 05:07 PM
As far as I am aware, Trane do not allow the use of any additives whatsoever in any of their equipment.

POS26
07-08-2006, 01:42 PM
My company manufactures an acid treatment that uses the filter drier and not a dangerous chemical reaction to treat acid. This forum was making me laugh because in our marketing meetings some of the head honchos keep repeating that "we need to educate the consumer that the competing products cause dangerous chemical reactions blah blah blah etc. etc." So I see this forum and it looks like everyone realizes exactly what is going on :) lol. Anyways take a look at it here, http://www.qwik.com/products/qwikshot.html this treatment does not neutralize the acid or cause a chemical reaction. It just moves it all to the filter-drier really quickly, the only set-back is that it has to be hermetically injected rather then just dumped in like "acid-away".

The MG Pony
07-08-2006, 07:43 PM
in other words it is a simple preferential Carrier to the acid, with a molecular affinity to standard absorption F/Ds ?

POS26
07-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I am going to walk over to the chem lab and ask our chemist John Meyer, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

POS26
07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
John has given your statement his stamp of approval

The MG Pony
07-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Ah K then I'd give it my stamp of trust to try it out some day.