PDA

View Full Version : Moving my AC unit

marru
29-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to move my AC unit from the living room to my room. I have to get all the refrigerant in my condensing unit from outside.

Im thinking like this:
1. Set the AC to cool.
2. Close the discharge valve.
3. Connect my manifold to the discharge valve to check the pressure.
4. Start The AC unit and leave it on for a while until the manifold reads a very low pressure.
5. Close the suction valve, disconnect the manifold and thats it. Im ready to disconnect the two units.

I would appreciate any other suggestions since i dont want to free any refrigerant in the air.

Thx

LRAC
29-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Your profile states that you are a student but what of, please don't attempt this procedure. Get someone in who knows what they are doing.

Lrac

marru
29-01-2007, 06:58 PM
True. I do lack experience. But i have all the tools needed from manifold, vacuum pump to flaring tools. I did help installing a few units by now and i am very familiar with HVAC systems.

My only concern is how much should i let the unit running after the valve is switched off. I want to vacuum as much refrigerant as possible but i also dont want the discharge pressure to get too high.

LRAC
29-01-2007, 07:05 PM
True. I do lack experience. But i have all the tools needed from manifold, vacuum pump to flaring tools. I did help installing a few units by now and i am very familiar with HVAC systems.

My only concern is how much should i let the unit running after the valve is switched off. I want to vacuum as much refrigerant as possible but i also dont want the discharge pressure to get too high.

Ok then, you should not experience too high a head pressures as the unit should pump down into the outside condenser, you should see the opposite happen in that the head pressure drops as the refrigerent is reclaimed to the condenser(under normal conditions and not overcharged?).

Just be sure that you are comfortable at knowing which point to stop the above procedure just in case.

Kind regards
Lrac

Brian_UK
29-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Also, monitor the suction pressure if you have an access port there.

The MG Pony
29-01-2007, 09:13 PM
and remember no refrigerant flow means no compressor cooling, so watch that as well.

marru
29-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the good tips guys. Ill will be careful with all the above.

cheers

Brian_UK
30-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Also, do not drop it on your foot when taking it off the wall ;)