PDA

View Full Version : accident in company van ins excess?

andrew lennon
29-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Do any other employers say employees must pay the insurance excess,if the employee is to blame for an accident?

LRAC
29-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Hi andrew lennon

Yep our company policy states that as well, if its proved to be our fault we pay the excess. Its supposed to make us more careful drivers NOTTTTT.

Regards
Lrac

Argus
29-01-2007, 04:39 PM

If this is in your contract of employment you can refuse to accept it.
It then depends on how much your potential employer values your services.

I've threatened to walk away from employment conditions that I've considered onerous in the past and had these things struck out of contracts.

It seems to be widespread in the UK possibly because employees do not read the small print and challenge these things.

andrew lennon
29-01-2007, 04:54 PM
employers seem to want to screw you when ever they can I bent a geezers bumper the only accident i have had in 30 odd years .i have worked for this company for about 4years and have a clean licence but,he has this clause in the contract.There is nothing in any contract to give the employee any rights.It is all for the employer,wot a life see you Andy

LRAC
29-01-2007, 06:40 PM
As they say about contracts "read it and wheap" you only find these things out when you need them, a bit like insurance policy's.

Youv'e got the top insurance available but theres always some clause someware to help them not pay out.

Regards
Lrac

absrbrtek
02-02-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't get the "contract" thing between an engineer and an employer. Seems like alot of BS to me. Is everyone "contract" different? In the US there are company policies and laws to protect the employees from regulations like you are talking about.

Argus
02-02-2007, 04:30 PM
UK employers are obliged by law to provide contracts of employment to their employees.

The terms are binding on both parties.

US Iceman
02-02-2007, 04:54 PM
In the US there are company policies and laws to protect the employees from regulations like you are talking about.

There are also other ones to be careful of. I was once involved in something like this. Driving my personal vehicle for company related activities and they paid for the gas.

I was involved in an accident on company time and directed by a company officer for the tasks at hand.

It seems my insurance would not pay for any damages, since I was under company directed tasks. This was just about a total loss for me as the vehicle was completely demolished.

So, there I was; no vehicle & big bills to pay to have it replaced.

My message to anyone who has been told to drive their vehicle for company business is: DON'T DO IT.

Latte
02-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Andrew,

Sorry to hear you have had an accident, but every company i have worked for do ask for you to pay the excess if it is youre fault. The Amounts do vary, anything between £100 and £500. Its one of these things you hope will never affect you when you read it in youre contract.

regards

Fatboy

taz24
03-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Companies I have worked for state that you are liable for the excess if the fault is yours, and why not if you have caused an accident why should you not pay for some of the damage.
taz.

DeB
05-02-2007, 05:14 AM
In Australia I have only heard of one case where an employee was asked to pay the excess. He did so but was not obliged to.I had an accident using my vehicle after hours and was not asked to pay the excess.Unfortunately due to the nature of the job, the number of hours spent on the road is going to increase the liklehood of an accident and the employer should recognise this. If an employer told me I had to pay the excess on HIS vehicle I would tell him where he could stick his job.
He would be hard pressed getting employees in OZ with that condition in a contract.You should speak to your fellow mechanics and tell your respective employers to remove this from your contract or you'll go elsewhere. If he values you he will remove it, if not go where your more apreciated.

absrbrtek
05-02-2007, 05:52 AM
They would be hard pressed anyplace to get an employee to agree with that. I guess its a UK thing.
If an employer told me I had to pay the excess on HIS vehicle I would tell him where he could stick his job.
He would be hard pressed getting employees in OZ with that condition in a contract.