PDA

View Full Version : thermomax 100 probes

john howie
26-01-2007, 08:41 PM
hi
keep having problems with evap probes.is this due to mouisture. anytime you take probe out and dry it fault clear.s.probe is in the back of the coil far left.half way down.electric defrost.is this the position it should be in.

djbe
26-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi John,

It sounds like moisture. Have you tried replacing the probe for a new one?

djbe

LRAC
26-01-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi john howie

i presume your using the metal tipped probes that come with the thermomax controller.

Try getting the rubber sealed probes from HRP they are available for that controller.

If you can't get them smear some silicon sealant around the bottom of the probe where the wires come out and that should solve your problem.

regards
Lrac

john howie
26-01-2007, 09:52 PM
hi lads
i have replaced it with the hrp rubber seal one,s but thought you could get other probes to suit controller

old gas bottle
26-01-2007, 10:34 PM
you need a new probe to start with ,as for position,i allways put them in the side cover on the expansion valve side, on the top coil run tip facing upward so as not to let water make its way in, termination set at 8 deg,sometimes you need a bit more but by putting them there it stops the TEV icing up and coil ends,also is in the coldest part of the coil that needs to get its heat.i dont insulate them just strap in to the coil loop so it senses the serounding temp, works for me.

john howie
26-01-2007, 10:53 PM
that side is totally iced up constantly due to coil being above a double door with curtain at a production area at plus 12 my room is set at 0c they will not change this set up

old gas bottle
27-01-2007, 09:19 AM
sounds to me like thats the side you need to tackle, if the evaps iced up on the TEV side it will be part shut all the time and just getting worse,the probe where you have it is doing its job but in the wrong place, try my suggestions,you might just be supprised.

NoNickName
27-01-2007, 12:11 PM
If it's a ntc or ptc probe, unwrap a condom, put the probe in it, pour some vinilic or siliconic glue, let it dry, strap, and cut the excess latex. You'll lose some readiness of response, but will gain precision and reliability.

old gas bottle
27-01-2007, 05:12 PM
bit early for that kind of talk nick !!

NoNickName
27-01-2007, 05:21 PM
No pun intended.

dallan
27-01-2007, 05:47 PM
John,

The defrost probe being halfway up the coil is wrong you should either have it at the top of the coil or on the coldest pass. If you put it on the coldest pass you should cover it with silver foil tape to help it read accurately.

I would suggest that the TEV end is icing up first as it is the coldest point and you have a constant stream of warmer air coming from the production area.

It is a bit of a compromise but I would suggest more frequent, shorter defrosts to prevent the ice from forming in the first place.

David

LRAC
27-01-2007, 07:58 PM
unwrap a condom, put the probe in it

I carry a lot of kit in my truck but i couldn't explain that one away.

Kind regards
Lrac