PDA

View Full Version : ball valves leaking

john howie
25-01-2007, 09:46 PM
we,ve just changed the gas from r22 to r29 in one of our plants it,s a production working area. dual air evaps. three weeks on six ball valves are leaking on top of the valves. the oil has been changed aswell from mineral to poly. can the oil mixing cause this. our can it be something else :mad:

US Iceman
25-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Hi John,

It's a pretty good bet the oil change is the issue. The elastomers react differently after an oil change. Are the valve stem seals replaceable, or do you have to change the entire valve?

john howie
25-01-2007, 10:17 PM
will need to change entire valve.but will this keep happening.it.s henry valves. should i change the type of valve. cheers.

Peter_1
25-01-2007, 10:51 PM
When we retrofitted R22 packs in supermarkets, also the SV's of Danfoss were prone to leaks.

john howie
25-01-2007, 11:05 PM
should i change the oil again when fitting new valves.

US Iceman
25-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I think I would do that just to remove any other possible contamination of the two oils. I would also suggest you ask Henry if they have different valves for use with POE oil.

This is a fairly common experience when changing oil types, so anything having an elastomeric seal such as valves, shaft seals, etc. are worth considering.

Latte
25-01-2007, 11:28 PM
John,

There has been an issue this side of the pond with "Henry" valve. Quite a few of the supermarket engineers have had problems with them leaking. i think as a quick fix they have been sealing the hole in the cap, not sure what the long term answer was though.
I know the manufactures originally put it down to too much heat when they were fitted but the amount that went seemed to show there was more of problem.
Mark Fiddy is youre man on this one

regards

Fatboy

Mark
26-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi John

Henry can supply you with a repair kit for these valves.(They are known as Extenders or something)

Kind regards

Mark

john howie
26-01-2007, 06:27 PM
cheers lads

john

dallan
27-01-2007, 06:09 PM
John,

When you refer to R29 are you reffering to Isceon 29 which I believe is R422D.

I have done a few of these retrofits (mainly with Isceon 79) and found that shaft seals and ball valves tend to start leaking after a few weeks. After discussions with Isceon they confirmed that it is the different refrigerant that is causing the seals to shrink. This is backed up by the fact that on most of the retrofits that I have done the original mineral oil was retained.

So once the ball valve are replaced they will not leak again.

David