PDA

View Full Version : Drainage Issues

gwilliamson
25-01-2007, 07:24 PM
After some advice. I have two jobs on a t the moment when the customer has requested the drains from indoor units go directly into a soil pipe( upright stack)One job is pumped drain and the other gravity. . The wall units are in the middle of the building so this does make sense as would be a pain to run outside.

However, has anyone had any problems with doing this or anything i should watch out for?

dannycool
25-01-2007, 07:40 PM
be sure to put a trap on it to prevent smells backing up. we use hepworth Vo self sealing traps because they dont rely on water to seal it, which can evaporate in time.

Quality
25-01-2007, 07:44 PM
good one danny:)

Brian_UK
25-01-2007, 10:14 PM
As Danny said make sure that it is trapped.

Also think about the possible flood level that the soil pipe has; in other words.... it the soil pipe can flood, will it back up your new pipe?

Make sure that the drain pipe size is adequate for the duty, make sure that you have plenty of access points for cleaning.

Try and think like the maintenance techie who has to service the plant, if you don't think that you can clean the pipework if it blocks then you've put it wrong.

Also make sure that there is an air break between the end of your pumped drain so that the pump doesn't syphon out and run dry - noise and damage.

Andy W
26-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Traps are an absolute must as well as break points for cleaning as pointed out earlier, one other point to bear in mind if you just drill the soil stack and insert a piece of 3/4 overflow in to the stack be careful how much sticks inside as this will act as a catch all for everything that falls from above and will back up, I have come across it before, much better to use a glue on or strap on boss, I find that drains are the most common call outs to air conditioners.