PDA

View Full Version : Is this stuff toxic?

homer
22-04-2002, 07:53 AM
Hi ,

I'm not a refrigeration professional, in fact I don't know much about refrigeration at all. I joined this forum just to ask the following question:

I just moved an old Gibson refrigerator from the fifties or sixties out of my basement. I didn't have anyone to help me and it was too heavy to get up the stairs by myself without taking it apart, so I took out the compressor and removed as many parts as I could.

Before cutting the copper tubing coming out of the compressor, I crimped it with a visegrips to seal in any refrigerant. I guess I didn't crimp it tight enough, because when I cut the larger tube, white foamy stuff started coming out of the end. While trying to crimp the end tighter, I got the stuff all over my hands. I was like motor oil, but had a different smell. I finally got it sealed, and got everything out of the basement. The compressor by itself weighed a ton!

My question is: what was that oily stuff that I got all over my hands and is it toxic or anything like that? I washed my hands with mechanic's hand cleaner, but the smell of the oil lingers on.

Thanks for any insight.

Homer

herefishy
22-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Homer, I think you'll be okay. It's mineral oil, and perhaps will make your skin smooth and silky! ... as long as the system wasn't extremely acidic, in which case your answer would perhaps have been intuitively obvious.

condenseddave
27-04-2002, 04:06 AM
Someday, you'll probably perish.

Gibson
27-04-2002, 04:30 AM
Hmmm, Methyl Chloride or R-12?

sedgy
08-02-2011, 06:41 PM
hi all from all I have read, R 12 can be carcinagenic and if taken in over a flame< cigaretts< gives off fosgean,

Brian_UK
08-02-2011, 08:58 PM
It's OK Sedgy, a nine year bump yet, well done for digging it out. :D

chemi-cool
08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
hi all from all I have read, R 12 can be carcinagenic and if taken in over a flame< cigaretts< gives off fosgean,
That was quick sedgy, after 9 years.................

sedgy
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
9 years--------------------------?

condenseddave
09-02-2011, 04:35 AM
Wow. I was a real wise ass 9 years ago! Sorry!
:(