PDA

View Full Version : Pay Scale

joe magee
25-01-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm new to this sight. Just curious. How much is top pay for a service tech in other parts of the world.I have been a service tech in southern california for five years. Top pay for a market tech is approx$35-$45an hour. If you can convert to us dollars that would be great.

smilies
28-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but the Union sucks big balls in SoCal, 5 hours north and that number goes up considerably.
Take away $10 from your figures for AZ.

taz24
28-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but the Union sucks big balls in SoCal, 5 hours north and that number goes up considerably.
Take away $10 from your figures for AZ.

Seperated by a comon language?
I'm sorry I did not understand a word of what you just wrote.:)
Translation to UK English please.

Cheers taz.

Latte
28-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Over here, Supermarket Engineers (Top End) would probably expect to get about £14-£15ph. Assuming we are still around the $2-£1 exchange rate that would be about $28-$30PH

I Have noticed recently a trend that engineers are now not always looking for the big money and looking at other benifits and the company they are joining.
I hope this continues, Too many engineers over the years have changed companies all too easy looking for the extra £1 and hours only to fing the grass is not always greener on the other side and then gone back to their old job

Always ask youreself this, If a company is offering more than the others WHY ?. Try and find old engineers from that company first to see why they are recruiting

Regards

fatboy

taz24
28-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Always ask youreself this, If a company is offering more than the others WHY ?. Try and find old engineers from that company first to see why they are recruiting

Regards

fatboy

I've known the odd one or two who go for the money and I have in the past, but from my experience I found companies offered lots of money to get engineers to meet new demands.
A company just winning a new contract finds itself overstretched and in need for more staff. The only way to get the staff is to offer the world. It happens all the time sometimes the company finds it can't meet the promises and tries to go back on them. On the whole Air cond and suppermarket engineers have the potential to earn the most, mainly because of the hours that are required. Maintenance, contract and industrial tend to offer a more modest package but this is improved with quality of life and other benifits.
£26k is standard for salary staff with basic hours and the chance for limited over time. Hourly rates for good engineers are in the regon £12 to £16 an hour with payed over time that is expected.

Taz.

chillin out
28-01-2007, 04:31 PM
The company I work for pays a little over £10/ hour.
Which considering the amount of contracts they have is pretty poor.

When the people at the top get greedy the people at the bottom start wandering......

Chillin:) :)

joe magee
28-01-2007, 07:16 PM
After five years of employment at this company I have seen a turnover rate close to 100% for techs. When I ask management why, they tell me industry standard. Some techs will leave for a buck. Most leave for a/c work, Steady hours less on calls, less presure and the same pay. With five techs quitting in the last month and being told to pick up the slack/on calls,I might be next.:D

Brian_UK
28-01-2007, 08:50 PM
I seem to remember that the phrase in the UK is:-

"Same crap, different tee-shirt"

smilies
29-01-2007, 02:13 AM
After five years of employment at this company I have seen a turnover rate close to 100% for techs. When I ask management why, they tell me industry standard. Some techs will leave for a buck. Most leave for a/c work, Steady hours less on calls, less presure and the same pay. With five techs quitting in the last month and being told to pick up the slack/on calls,I might be next.:D

I bet you it is SR, rhymes with morse. Same problem in other branches. They get a lot of business though, and new guys out of school to fill vans. I recently left there to an O.E.M, we'll see how it goes.

smilies
29-01-2007, 02:18 AM
Seperated by a comon language?
I'm sorry I did not understand a word of what you just wrote.:)
Translation to UK English please.

Cheers taz.

I'll try:). Basically, the labor union that supermarket techs belong to in Southern California goes more along with the stores than the techs, so pay is stale down there. Up in Northern California the Union is much stronger and the pay scale is a lot higher.

smilies
29-01-2007, 02:25 AM
Some techs will leave for a buck.

Also, no tech leaves for just a buck unless something is already bad at work. Could be office politics, or the dispatchers or even a new manager. The supermarket business is hard and the company that makes it the easiest has the best techs. Could be the on-call schedule or as simple as just hiring competent experienced help. Nothing worse than when you are at a store with multiple problems because a 'convenience store' tech was let loose in there on his own. Not his fault he was sent there because "he was down the street."