PDA

View Full Version : distance learning for NVQ2

LRAC
20-01-2007, 12:45 PM
:confused: Hi all

I'm due to meet Pooh at the RAC show next month to discuss the pending Fgas regs. We currently have 2 experienced engineers with no industry paper qualifications other than refrigerant handling.

This would leave us short on 2 out of 5 engineers if they need to attend college and possibly our install team as well.

I'm lead to believe distance learning courses will be available to gain level NVQ2.

My question is can these engineers still work in the trade while gaining qualifications or are Fgas regs coming in on a set date and that date is FINAL?

And what are you guy's with no papers going to do?

Kind regards
Lrac

Brian_UK
21-01-2007, 12:16 AM
I'm still waiting to hear of any need for NVQs in relation to FGas.

Any positive and informed data would be appreciated.

SteveDixey
21-01-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm still waiting to hear of any need for NVQs in relation to FGas.

Any positive and informed data would be appreciated.

At the moment, there is no requirement in relation to FGas for NVQ.

However, various trade contacts see it coming, pretty much as electricians have to now. Some electrical trade qualifications need candidates to have a thorough understanding of electrical principles before they get in through the door. For example, to achieve a City & Guilds 2391 qualification (in line with the NICEIC initiative on inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations), competent electricians should have experience of inspecting and testing and be in possession of City & Guilds 2381 or equivalent. Should also have an understanding of standard electrical formulae and principles.

If FGas doesn't give the required reduction in emissions, the EU may well tighten the legislative screws, supposedly to force out the cowboys and technically incompetent.

NVQ's in this field are about proving competence in actual working conditions, even at Level 2. It is unlikely that you are going to get an NVQ via distance learning as at some stage you are going to have to pull your spanners out your van and show you can do the job. Your average second year apprentice should be able to get an NVQ Level 2 so most of us have very little to worry about.

As regards pulling men off work, that is going to happen increasingly, mostly hitting smaller companies.

Electricians are getting hit now, gas fitters before them, to the extent that one-man bands are giving up. Some of this may be payback for low skills and high work turnover that led to dodgy practices - a case of chickens coming home to roost?

Steve

Pooh
21-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Steve
You are correct in saying that an NVQ cannot be gained by distance learning, it is the underpinning knowledge that can be delivered by distance learning which will give the candidate the ability to pass the three technical certificate exams required for the NVQ. Once the technical certificates are obtained it is then just a case of two onsite assessments to prove competence along with some documentary evidence, this method of assessment is as laid down in the Summit Skills experienced worker scheme.

Hope this helps
Ian

airconadam
20-05-2007, 10:43 AM
hi fellas by the sound of it some of you must be college lecturers in ac and refrigeration i finished my nvq2 in sep last year and now waiting to start my level 3 but just wanted to know what am i goin to expect on the level is it more complex systems,electrics etc thanks for your time and help adam