PDA

View Full Version : One step forward and two back

monkey spanners
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Had to fit a new suction line accumulator (rusted through) and compressor oil sight glass today on an old Fabdec DX milk tank/icebuilder system. The system has no tev's, just a brass fixed orifice, no liquid reciever. If the farmer runs them with no milk in its not unkown for them to throw a rod.
I decided to fit a 1/2" ballvalve with a schraeder valve, at the exit of the condenser so i can pump it down into a recovery bottle in future if needed.
After reading the instal instructions with the valve it said to braze in the open position, cap off, turn valve stem, BANG:eek: , it fired its two red plug out quicker than a rifle. One of which hit me in the (recently expanded) belly (damn you chocolate sea shells:rolleyes: )
Anyway i got that fitted, new liquid line drier, new accumulator, new suction drier, had a play with my new oxyacetylene nozzle (has a brass end to it with six holes, MORE POWER:cool: :D ) and turned my attention to the compressor.
Sucked out the old oil (nasty colour:confused: ) and removed oil level sightglass. Now i can never resist having a look how things work so i thought id see what i could see through the sightglass hole. Mmm deffinate lack of conrods:mad: Looked to the sump to find the rod in bits:mad: :mad: Took the end plate off for a better look and found it in three pieces, one of will make a nice key fob with a bit of filing:D
Hopefully fitting the new compressor will go better (and give me a chance to work off those christmas chocs:rolleyes: )

Cheers Jon

Brian_UK
08-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, they do say it comes in threes don't they?

Chocolate sea shells, mmmmmm

taz24
09-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Had to fit a new suction line accumulator (rusted through) and compressor oil sight glass today on an old Fabdec DX milk tank/icebuilder system. The system has no tev's, just a brass fixed orifice, no liquid reciever. If the farmer runs them with no milk in its not unkown for them to throw a rod.had a play with my new oxyacetylene nozzle (has a brass end to it with six holes, MORE POWER:cool: :D )

Cheers Jon

The pepper pot nozels are exelent for larger pipes.
Enjoy your new toy.

Cheers taz.

Mark
09-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Had to fit a new suction line accumulator (rusted through) and compressor oil sight glass today on an old Fabdec DX milk tank/icebuilder system. The system has no tev's, just a brass fixed orifice, no liquid reciever. If the farmer runs them with no milk in its not unkown for them to throw a rod.
I decided to fit a 1/2" ballvalve with a schraeder valve, at the exit of the condenser so i can pump it down into a recovery bottle in future if needed.
After reading the instal instructions with the valve it said to braze in the open position, cap off, turn valve stem, BANG:eek: , it fired its two red plug out quicker than a rifle. One of which hit me in the (recently expanded) belly (damn you chocolate sea shells:rolleyes: )
Anyway i got that fitted, new liquid line drier, new accumulator, new suction drier, had a play with my new oxyacetylene nozzle (has a brass end to it with six holes, MORE POWER:cool: :D ) and turned my attention to the compressor.
Sucked out the old oil (nasty colour:confused: ) and removed oil level sightglass. Now i can never resist having a look how things work so i thought id see what i could see through the sightglass hole. Mmm deffinate lack of conrods:mad: Looked to the sump to find the rod in bits:mad: :mad: Took the end plate off for a better look and found it in three pieces, one of will make a nice key fob with a bit of filing:D
Hopefully fitting the new compressor will go better (and give me a chance to work off those christmas chocs:rolleyes: )

Cheers Jon

Hi Jon

Is this the Fabdec DX- FF, yes the TEV is replaced with Expansion Nozzle.

I had a call to one of these around 12 years ago,Prestcold compressor would intermittely trip on overload, If i recall there is a high wattage heater wrapped round the accumulator this was not operating.

Causes alot of problems.

Kind regards

Mark

monkey spanners
18-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Mark
Yes its a Fabdec DX FF with expansion nozzles instead of tevs. When i went on a course at Fabdec even they said it was a rubbish system and they had no idea why they made them like that:rolleyes: New ones have tevs and recievers.
We once had an icebuilder from Fabdec and on commisioning it was frosting back before it had anywhere near enough refrigerant in it. After scratching our heads for a bit, took the tevs appart and none of the four had any orifices in:eek: How they got them to seal i don't know!

Cheers Jon

andrew lennon
24-02-2007, 09:14 PM
Oh for days of working on a farm bulk milk tank.not bad in summer winter the bloody wind blows through every hole in the walls.Cats/kittens /rats stuck in the condeser fan blade.tanker due anytime water as warm as the milk.a farmer saying will cool down before he gets here?

One day I was called out to a bulk tank Fullwood which used a big paddle in the tank to move the milk around to help cool it with the ice bank.Farmer said paddle pin broke last night but I stripped off got in the tank and got the paddle out then shoved a big nail in to use as a pin.
I went off milk for a while after that the thought of a big hairy reared fairmer walking about in the milk was a little frightening

mr cool
17-03-2007, 12:13 AM
milk tanks are great, i just love trying to change the ice stat with 2" of ice around the evap pipes! had one once that used discharge pipe as heat reclaim for hot water, lp stuck closed, split in discharge pipe and the worst case of water ingress i have ever seen. comp,reciever, evap and condenser literally full of the stuff.