PDA

View Full Version : Comparative compressors

Friobernal
15-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Hi

I´m working with Böck compressors and i´d like to make my own comparative between the followings manufacturers: Böck, Bitzer, Copeland. I´m talking about semi-hermetic compressors between 15 m3/h - 80 m3/h. I´ve thought the best way is by the COP. Can anybody give me another idea? I´d like someone to tell me which manufacturer is the best and why.

Thanks

Andy
15-04-2002, 10:26 PM
Hi, What are you after, the most economic to run, the cheapest to buy or what is readily available. There is no point in me buying a bock, much as I woudn't mind using them, I would have to jump through hoops just to get parts. Also some people just have favourites, I like Bitzers, they are readily available, not so hard on the pocket and easy to work on. I have a friend who swears by copelands and on this subject we have to agree to disagree. In the end relyability must take prefference to sheer effeciency in the real world. The customer will not thank you for fitting the most effecient system, if it breaks down all the time.
Regards. Andy.

Dan
16-04-2002, 12:18 AM
I think Andy makes some good points. The differences in energy efficiency generally turn out to be small enough for one to regard other qualities from one manufacturer to the other.

Bock direct drives in supermarkets, for example were an unmitigated disaster due to seal leaks. The energy argument was a good one, however. Easy access to parts and replacements is what makes Copeland the most popular refrigeration compressor in the states, moreso than the slight advantage they appear to have in efficiency at refrigeration evaporation temperatures (COP). Last I looked, Copeland squeaked out the highest COP, especially in low temperature applications.

But really, when we look at data, the data is provided by the manufacturers and it could be unintentionally swayed to each's favor.

So, I repeat Andy's sentiment: What are you really looking for, and I would add to it: Why?

Friobernal
16-04-2002, 07:02 AM
Thanks both off you; what i´d like is to see which one is technnically the best manufacturer (try to imagine money and service don´t matter at all) and what advantages has got one to other, with the technical data i´ve got. Both of them are from Germany and i think they lie in the same way.

And Andy, how can i measure the access to parts? I think i need measurable parameters. And finally Why? Because i´m new in refrigeration world and i want to learn.

Dan
16-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Here' an idea for you, Friobernal. Go to each manufacturer's website. Create a degree of difficulty, or some other way to judge them. It's a start, anyway. Information and access to it is really part of the machinery if you are trying to order a head gasket, for example.

If you desire to prove a compressor inferior, listen to the competing manufacturer. If you desire to prove a compressor superior, listen to that compressor manufacturer.

In the states, there are die-hard Chevy fans and die-hard Ford fans, etc. It is all meaningless... unless you are a die-hard fan.

karelsdr
20-04-2002, 06:25 PM
I do not have any experience with Bock but I find Copeland and Bitzer to be tough little compressors. On a semi hermetic the only parts to really worry about are discharge valves and shaft seals and if a shaft seal is gone then it is a good sign the bearings are going defective.So really my advice is to look at cost and don`t worry about the rest.

terrygoodrich
26-04-2002, 03:10 AM
If your primary criteria is efficiency, I believe that the Copeland Discus Compressor is number one. It has the smallest clearance volume which makes the difference. Let me know if you find out differently.

Frosty
28-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Hi Karelsdr

Did you mean open drive compressor and not semi-hermetic? Maybe you're about to release a mutant compressor into the market place! LOL

Only havin a laugh Karelsdr....keep posting!

Frosty