PDA

View Full Version : Changing interior bulb wipes out my H/point Mistral f/freezer

mikeee
08-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I just changed the interior bulb on my 6 year old hotpoint Mistral FF72 f/freezer.The bulb exploded and the f/freezer stopped working.I have checked and replaced the 13amp fuse in the plug but there is still no indication power is getting to the f/freezer.I contacted Hotpoint who are sending out an engineer in a weeks time.Call out £89 not including cost of parts.Could anyone please tell me what the likley cause is for the f/freezer failure and is it going to cost effective get the Hotpoint engineer out.Thanks.

Electrocoolman
08-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Don't know this model as such but assuming that it uses a conventional thermostat mounted inside the fridge......(rather than electronic circuit board)
The supply to the bulb is probably taken through the switch section of the thermostat. This has probably suffered with the high current and gone Open Circuit. You will probably need a new thermostat.

Was the bulb the correct type / rating?

mikeee
09-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply to my problem.There is no conventional thermostat inside the fridge that I can see.There is a LCD display outside -Zone -Set Temp-Save-Fast Freeze.Do you think I may have a circuit board as you mentioned?Will this suggest a more serious problem.The bulb was 15watt (240v) labeled "for fridge freezer" as recommended in the instruction manual.thanks again for your help.

Mikeee

taz24
10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your reply to my problem.There is no conventional thermostat inside the fridge that I can see.There is a LCD display outside -Zone -Set Temp-Save-Fast Freeze.Do you think I may have a circuit board as you mentioned?Will this suggest a more serious problem.The bulb was 15watt (240v) labeled "for fridge freezer" as recommended in the instruction manual.thanks again for your help.

Mikeee

I know that these bulbs are controled from the board and somtimes they switch the neutral:confused: I have known of bulbs blowing and taking out the fuse.
I have on one or two occasions seen a bulb that had blown and spiked the board which failed.
You realy do need this looking at by someone who knows what they are doing.
Cheers taz.

mikeee
13-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Tas24,
You were spot on.I got an engineer to look at the F/freezer,the bulb had blown and spiked the board, which had to be replaced.I changed the bulb when power was going to the F/freezer.Instruction manual says, switch off power before changing bulb.Should have read instructions first.This is the most expensive bulb I will ever buy.Thanks for your advice. Cheers,
Mikeee