PDA

View Full Version : Compressor overheated

edmundtan
03-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Dear friends,
I am encountering overheating of a hermetically-sealed compressor used in a refrigeration cooling system to condense heated solvent vapor in a enclosed stainless steel tank.

I have changed this compressor the 2nd time in 3 years and this new compressor with the same wattage is experiencing overheating.

Pls adv what are the causes of overheating in a compressor.

Thanks,
Edmund

Paulajayne
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Many reasons for this, but I would initally look at the load you are placing on it and decide if that compressor is suitable to handle it.

Paula

US Iceman
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi edmundtan,

Check the easy things first.

Make sure the electircal power supply is OK. Low voltage can cause the motor to overheat.

Check the suction superheat. High superheat can cause the compressor to overheat. This might also be caused by the solvent tank with a temperature that is too high.

The refrigeration system might be too small (not enough capacity), or, the start-up load is too high.

A crankcase pressure regulating valve might help to prevent some of the problems, since it would prevent the compressor from being overloaded during the start-up period. If the refrigeration system is too small, the pressure regulator may not help, as the time to pull down the load may take too long.

You have not mentioned the evaporating temperature or the type of condenser, but in some cases, the compressors can require an external fan for additional cooling also.

A long list of things to review, which is why I said to start with the easy items first.

I hope this helps you.

bobkellyb
04-01-2007, 04:57 AM
G'Day!
The wattage is the same as the removed compressor,
but is the new one rated to opperate at the evaporating pressure/temp that it is connected to?

old gas bottle
04-01-2007, 11:21 AM
sounds like a high temp /BP unit maybe R22/R404A right?, and your in singapore and its hot,and the condenser is spotless and doing its job yes? and as the previous guy says you have the right model compressor and voltage,then start looking at the gas charge is spot on and that it cycles of on its thermostat,is it being asked to handle more product than its specification,on theese machines its better to fit a exact replacement compressor rather than one that matches.