PDA

View Full Version : Blast Freezing Q's

Mutaz Suhail
25-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi All,
This is my first entry to this interesting website as i was searching for something on Blast Freezing.

What is the reason for blast freezing ?
Is it true to kill salmonella !!

Can B.F. be done for fruits or vegetables beside fish, Meat and poultry.

Does the B.F. help to keep the good condition of the product

Many Thanks
Mutaz

winfred.dela
26-12-2006, 01:17 PM
What is the reason for blast freezing ?

Blast Freezing is used to bring down the fish & meat Product Core Temperature to at least minus 20C within the shortest possible time (4 hours is the optimum time) before putting it to storage rooms @ around minus 20C room temperature.

Is it true to kill salmonella !!

No it cannot.

Can B.F. be done for fruits or vegetables beside fish, Meat and poultry.

For Fruits & Vegetables they call the process Blast Chilling or Pre cooling. Temperature varies e.g., around +7.5C for Pineapple & +14C for Banana.

Does the B.F. help to keep the good condition of the product

The condition of the product will never be better than before Blast Freezing or Blast Cooling.
It however, extends the shelf life of the products.

I hope to have answered your queries.

. . . :)

Mutaz Suhail
27-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the help.
Why do we need to bring down the Temp. of Fish and meat to -20 very fast. what would happen if this happen in normal freezer where it would take 1 or 2 days ..?

Same way, why do we need blast chilling for vig. and fruits. why not using normal chillers..?

regards..

NH3LVR
27-12-2006, 01:52 AM
You inadvertently double posted yesterday, and I replied to that almost identical post.
Since I consider my wit to be of importance I will repost it, even though Winfred covered it well.

Welcome to the Forum Mutaz.
Blast freezing is done with air at cold temperatures flowing over the product.
It is of no use what so ever for killing Bacteria or making old product fresh again. Many have tried, none have succeeded.
Blast Freezing reduces cell damage by freezing product more quickly than simply leaving it in still air.
This leaves the thawed product in better condition.
Generally speaking the faster the product is frozen the better.
I have little experience with Fruits and Vegetables.
I am sure you will hear more on that as soon those who celebrate Christmas have recovered from the Holiday. (Including myself)

IceMan_4000
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
The faster a product freezes the smaller the ice crystal are. This keeps the Cell walls of the product intact which translates to a much better thawed product.

US Iceman
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
That thread is almost 3 years old! You have raised the dead:D

IceMan_4000
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
lol

the power of refrigeration

what can I say board and surfing the forums forgot to read date of last post

That will learn me

brunstar
03-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the help.
Why do we need to bring down the Temp. of Fish and meat to -20 very fast. what would happen if this happen in normal freezer where it would take 1 or 2 days ..?

Same way, why do we need blast chilling for vig. and fruits. why not using normal chillers..?

regards..

When you get fresh fish and seafood it has actually been snap frozen to avoid cell retardation, the reason this is carried out iss when they go out to sea, some boats may not come back for a week or so, so they need to freeze the product there and then, this is still classified as "fresh", although most people don't know it has been frozen before....