PDA

View Full Version : regulations on refrigerator cooling

obie
24-12-2006, 08:20 PM
hello evryone,
ive got a project am doin in school and i need regulations or any articles on refrigerator cooling, high voltages and extreme temperature. Please can anyone please help me out. Thnaks Obie

NoNickName
24-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Browse the forum and you'll find a lot of good info and links

fridg
25-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Check out the standards for your state / country.

Can't go wrong if you do.

It all depends on what sort of product you are cooling.

obie
28-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info, but where do i check for the standards for my country, am actually in the uk. Actually, iam collecting the heatpump out of the fridge and incoporating it into my project so i need to know the dooz and donts. Thanks

Brian_UK
28-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Hi Obie, the first don't is do not vent any refrigerant to atmosphere. It is illegal, bad practice and very anti-social.

As far as electrics go, remember that you must respect the duty of care that your school/college has to it's staff and students. Do not endanger them by having exposed or unsafe cabling etc.

You should not use any electrical equipment that has not been tested as safe to use.

Extremes of temperature - liquid refrigerant will cause skin burns if not handled correctly. These skin burns can be as bad as frostbite with the resultant loss of fingers/toes etc, so beware. During the pumping action of the compressor the refrigerant will attain a higher temperature and this will obviously heat the pipes that it is contained in; touch one and you could sustain a heat burn.

Remember also that the 'fridge' that you are dissecting has to be disposed of properly, it is all classed as hazardous waste and must be treated accordingly.

obie
29-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Thank you so much, iam findin this useful anywayz. How about high voltages, Do u know anytin about that concerning the refrigirator?

Brian_UK
29-12-2006, 07:57 PM
There are two sources of high voltage relating to a refrigerator or rather the compressor motor within it.

1. The mains voltage supply which is 230 volts ac, probably from the nearest socket outlet.

2. The motor will most likely have a capacitor wired to it which can raise the voltage up to say 400 volts ac.

Therefore, ensure that all connectors/plugs/sockets etc are correctly wired and secure.

Connect the project through an RCD safety switch to protect personel.

Make sure that everyone concerned with the project knows how to TURN IT OFF if the need should arise.