PDA

View Full Version : Leaked refrigerant

Hippo
23-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I have a newly installed Mitsubishi MSH-GA35VB. Shortly after a succesful commisioning the copper pipe was jolted near the heat pump resulting in a gradual loss of refrigerant (R410A). The leak has been fixed and the system is still charged but there is virtually no cooling or heating taking place.

Can anyone tell me how to asses the weight of new refrigerant needed to replenish it?

taz24
23-12-2006, 03:59 PM
Can anyone tell me how to asses the weight of new refrigerant needed to replenish it?

You will not be able to replenish the charge.
The refrigerant that is in the system needs reclaiming and a new charge weighing in.
You can't just add refrigerant you must pull all the gas out and add new because the gas is a zeatropic blend.
The weight of the refrigerant is marked on the outside unit.

taz.

R. skiffington
23-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Hippo

Can I ask how you managed to repair a copper pipe on a charged system! pumped down? or was it a flare nut?
TAZ24 is right, 410a along with all 400 series refiregerants are a blend of different refrigerants, all with different evap pressures, so when you have a leak the make up of the refrigerant is unbalanced. It must be recovered, evacuated and recommisioned.
I believe 500 series refrigerants are along the same line, 400 series being zeotropic and 500 series being azeotropic blends, other readers should correct me if i'm wrong!
cheers

Argus
24-12-2006, 11:33 AM

You are right, however although R410A is, strictly speaking, a zeotrope (the blend parts do not have an equal and identical boiling point), it's sometimes referred to as a near-azeotrope because the glide is very slight in comparison to other zeotropes (less than 0.5 degrees at a normal operating range). It's often overlooked in very small systems. Even so, charging and recharging should be by liquid weight into a vacant, evacuated system using the manufacturer's recommended weights.

Slight inaccuracies, over or under charges, may not be immediately noticeable, but will drastically impact on the long-term reliability of the equipment and its prolonged running costs.

Servicefrigo
24-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Whell
Everybody sometime loose,or win,
Accept this, and recharge it