PDA

View Full Version : a/c seer

Stuart
07-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Can anyone tell mr what A/C SEER is & how it affects the system?? would be grateful for the advice. Thanks in advance.
stuart.:rolleyes:

Prof Sporlan
08-04-2002, 03:15 AM
SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is an efficiency rating for unitary a/c system under 65,000 Btu/hr. It is the cooling capacity of the unit in Btu/hr divided by the energy comsumption in watts. The standard can be downloaded from here (http://www.ari.org/std/individual/210.240-94.pdf).

In short, there are 4 separate tests performed to simulate normal usage of an a/c units:

'A' test is at 95°F ambient, 80°F DB/67°F WB return air temperature
'B' test is at 82°F ambient, 80°F DB/67°F WB return air temperature
'C' test is at 82°F ambient, 80°F DB/57°F WB return air temperature
'D' test is a cyclic test at the same conditions as the 'C' test.

The actual calculations necessary to determine the SEER rating are a bit involved, but specified in the above Standard.

Stuart
11-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Wow thats very involved. Is it necessary to work out the seer in all cases or is it provided by the factory.

Is seer needed on all visits to service all refrigeration systems?

Prof Sporlan
12-04-2002, 12:47 AM
SEER is determined by the equipment manufacturer and subject to independent verification. All a service technician would need to know is that it is a rating standard. 10 SEER is the current minimum mandated by the DOE, 12 or 13 SEER will be the new minimum by 2006, and for example, a 12 SEER units is approx 20 percent more efficient than a 10; 13 SEER is approx 30 percent more efficient than a 10.....

herefishy
12-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, high SEER ratings are responsible for the destruction of real property. Here in Texas, there is a growing number of mold damage claims due to humid enviroments in occupied spaces, in addition to just water leakage within a (home).

Now I profess myself NOT to be an A/C guy, but my understanding is that higher SEER ratings are acheived through different means, but in direct discussions with very knowledgeable people, I understand the net result to be a system which does not efficiently address latent load (humidity).

Most of Texas is technically a sub-tropical climate, so it has become a big issue. As a matter of fact, it is becoming difficult to obtain general liability insurance as a mechanical contractor in this state because of the mold issue.

herefishy
12-04-2002, 04:06 PM
:)

All of the energy in the universe is constant. We know what the "energy" of heat transmission and latent (load) is.

All SEER is, is a standard which measures the amount of work which is NOT being done! :rolleyes:

Prof Sporlan
12-04-2002, 06:50 PM
One means by which SEER rating can be increased is raising the evaporator temperature, which is generally not a problem for Phoenix, but could well present indoor humidity problems in Houston.

That is why having a good a/c technician select and install the unit will be more important for the average homeowner than the SEER rating of the unit.

Gary
12-04-2002, 11:47 PM
I would think every tech in Texas should know to slow the blower down. :)

Dan
13-04-2002, 12:02 AM
LOL. Same goes for techs in Florida. Big condensers: Good. Big evaporators: Bad.

Gary
13-04-2002, 12:20 AM
Actually, big evaps can take an even lower airflow before the coil freezes, with a lower ADP, thus more humidity removal than a smaller evap.

But a big evap with high airflow is bad news in a humid area.

herefishy
13-04-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Gary
I would think every tech in Texas should know to slow the blower down. :)

You're exactly right!!!!!!!!.... And that just BLOWS the whole SEER bullsh*t out of the water, doesn't it?:D

This SEER thing is just a political scam.... like cigarettes.

Gary
13-04-2002, 01:41 AM
LOL

Well...not a total scam. The evap/airflow balance is a tradeoff: Efficiency versus dehumidification. You still get the increased efficiency of the larger condenser, and scrolls are more efficient.

And in dry areas, they can crank up the airflow until the compressor gets a hernia. :)

Don't get me started on the TobaccoNazis...Grrrrrrrrrr...

superheat
23-05-2002, 08:57 PM
SEER is a big rip. Government says you can't build equipment with less than say 12 SEER. YOU CAN'T BUILD A 12 SEER SYSTEM UNLESS IT IS A PACKAGE SYSTEM. It is a system with several parts. A 3 ton 12 seer CU with a 2 ton evap can be installed legally, but it will not be 12 SEER. Now let's talk about leaky undersized ducts. How about never changing the filter. It is just something that some lawyer/congressman developed to solve all the world's energy problems.

Gary
23-05-2002, 09:40 PM
People don't seem to understand that a system has four major sub-sections. Condensing unit, evaporating unit, piping, and ductwork. Any of these can make or break the system.

Prof Sporlan
24-05-2002, 02:12 AM
Time and effort spent on developing proper training and certification programs, and educating the homeowner on the benefits of having qualified personnel install and service residential hvac equipment, will prove to be better policy than some arbitrary increase in minimum SEER ratings...

momo
07-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Trying to find out about SEER (USA) and EER (Europe) and how they compare I came across EER=SEER/3.5 approx. Correct?

Does this explain why Europe (Spain) is now plagued by low price low efficiency i.e. EER 2.6 R407 A/Cs made in P.*.C. - because the USA will not buy them, especially wall splits!