PDA

View Full Version : Light- weight Compressor's No Oil No Bearings

chillerman2006
17-12-2006, 11:12 PM
:) what an improvement to the heavy industrial screw/centrifuge's compressors normaly found in chiller's

A oiless compressor with no crankshaft bearing's and only 2 amp start up and still produce's the same if not better capacity

save's calling out a heavy lifting team to replace a compressor - most can lift them easily on there own

i have service and technical manuals in pdf if anyone is interested i can email them across

Andy P
17-12-2006, 11:47 PM
:) save's calling out a heavy lifting team to replace a compressor - most can lift them easily on there own

I agree that these are great machines in lots of ways, but the compressor weighs 265lbs - that's about 120kg. Manual handling regs require an upper limit of 25kg on any lift "by hand":rolleyes: What's your secret????

cheers

Andy P

chillerman2006
18-12-2006, 12:24 AM
I agree that these are great machines in lots of ways, but the compressor weighs 265lbs - that's about 120kg. Manual handling regs require an upper limit of 25kg on any lift "by hand":rolleyes: What's your secret????

cheers

Andy P

hi andy

Hefty mate

all the best chillerman

LRAC
18-12-2006, 08:30 AM
when i started in the game i was a spindley guy and struggled to lift my tools but now i can lift 180kg plus and bench 220kg

Hi Chillerman2006

In another 10 years then you should be able to carry your van everywhere to avoid paying fuel,road and van tax.

Kind regards
Lrac:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

NoNickName
18-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Turbocor. York sold the technology to Danfoss. They spent billions on the development. It costs approx 3 to 4 times the normal price for the same size compressor. By the qty they are selling now, invesetment will not pay back in a century.

chillerman2006
18-12-2006, 09:16 PM
:) :D Nice one Lrac:) :D

taz24
20-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Turbocor. York sold the technology to Danfoss. They spent billions on the development. It costs approx 3 to 4 times the normal price for the same size compressor. By the qty they are selling now, invesetment will not pay back in a century.

Thats a bit negative.

Lots of new technology initialy costs more than it is actualy worth. But without the development we will never move on.

taz.

NoNickName
20-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Well taz, Turbocor almost went bust while developing, York bought Turbocor and while still developing York sold to Danfoss because of costs.
Two big companies had to sell because of development costs. A little bit too much for "new technology".

taz24
20-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Two big companies had to sell because of development costs. A little bit too much for "new technology".

Maybe:) but arn't other compaies doing the same type of comp.
Star fridge in Glasgow are installing their new modular chillers with a type of the comp and as far as I know (I have been known to be wrong:) ) they are proveing to be very reliable.

Cheers taz.

Chillin'
29-01-2007, 04:21 AM
Has anyone had experience with these compressors?
I saw them at a trade show in Toronto Canada, and I was very impressed. We are an OEM and we typically use Copeland or Carlyle in our chillers.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!:o

Pooh
29-01-2007, 10:13 PM
There is a slight technical problem with them in respect of what happens in a power cut if it is running, now you have bearings, now you don't. A friend of mine has worked on them in China were the power supplies are not very dependable.

Ian

Vishnukurup
30-01-2007, 08:23 AM
No problem in case unexpected power outage also, as per the details found at web site.

Back up capacitors are there to take care of this.

Pooh
30-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Apparently the capacitors dont always work as several smashed up compressors have shown, the company my mate works for are looking at the possibility of using a computer type UPS to feed the magnets in the event of power cuts.

Ian

wkd
02-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Not so sure York bought Turbocor,I know they were offered the technology but declined.The compressor itself is very good last one I run was TT300,I understand some more models are about now.One big problem is the upper limit on condensing temp 45 C no good for air-cooled applications.At the time the lowest capacity was 275 KW so they are good for multiple water-cooled from about 750 KW on.Fairly high efficiency but my evaluation proved not much better than a conventional screw.The control logic is very useful as it has its own suction/discharge transducers and you can wire in a temperature sensor to operate on entering or leaving temp.You can also monitor the operation and change setpoints over the web so quite usesful for monitoring.Not impressed by the harmonic filter which looked antiquated and produced a massive voltage drop giving incorrect power input readings.Its worth a look even though it is expensive just be careful on application.

binman54
24-02-2007, 01:28 AM
We looked at them, took a plant tour and read all the literature but we never bought one.
The literature promised a lot but we found that they are no more efficient, or slightly worse, than the screw compressors we are currently using. Our applications require full capacity most of the time and their claim is better efficiency at reduced loads.
We could not get the voltage we needed (575VAC/3/60 in Canada) and the sizes were limited. The cost of replacement compressors was also very high. It was less expansive to refit a screw than to replace a Turbocor.
There were also some other local code issues that we could not resolve.

Binman

The captain
23-03-2007, 03:07 PM
They where developed in Australia, but the goverment would not give any grants to further the technology. They ended up going to canada for the money. In Aus they are called power pax chillers. Centrif compressors with levitating shaft within an emf. ;)

bompi
24-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Sounds Intresting
would like to see some data on tha one

thanks

Lowrider
24-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Although a great invention, reading about the problems involved when power is cut, not so sure if it's that great!

I work on almost all brands of screws and must say I'm suprised that still a lot of them use an oilpump and if not suffer from oilproblems.

Some new screws can't even be turned by hand if there's no oil in!

Saturated
29-08-2007, 01:23 PM
No more oil logged evaporators, that's gotta be a good thing!
With any new technology there is always a teething period, but from the little I've seen so far (there's a few in Perth and more going in) they're very impressive.

Peter Patel
31-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes I would like to review technical detail you have in pdf,

please mail me on my e-mail address-
wrcpmpatel@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tesla
01-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys
One of these chillers measured a COP of 18, I've seen them retrofitted to old r22 recip chillers ( aircooled ). No noise/vibration. The Turbo Cor compressor is just the start of a technology revolution. PowerPak and Mcquay use them in thier chillers.
Have a great day from Sydney

taz24
01-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Hi Guys
One of these chillers measured a COP of 18, I've seen them retrofitted to old r22 recip chillers ( aircooled ). No noise/vibration. The Turbo Cor compressor is just the start of a technology revolution. PowerPak and Mcquay use them in thier chillers.
Have a great day from Sydney

Do you work for them or what:D
A compressor that delivers a COP of up to 18.
I don't think so.
They are only compressors after all that just have magnetic bearings the pumping effieciency can't rise that much?

taz

wkd
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Probably had an IPLV of 18,this includes part load at different operating conditions and is based on US units,tested by ARI.
I have personally tested water cooled units that are nearly 3 times more efficient at the IPLV conditions than their screw counter part.The real efficiency gains come from design of all components whereas most manufacturers compromise due to cost.If you could get a niche market of customers interested in efficiency only it would give the big boys a run for their money thats for sure.

jittypop
09-09-2007, 02:42 AM
We have 10 turbocors in on various systems chillers dx with a cooling tower and dx with aircooled and for the most part compressors have not been the problem the means of control have been the major issue. Over all a great concept that definetily will be be built upon and is the way of the future in our industry ,and it does perform well at part load way better than screws or centrifugals.I would suggest trying one out and like someone else suggested be careful of the application when retrofitting.Thanks for reading and goodluck.

binman54
09-09-2007, 11:44 PM
One of the problems that we had was that the TSSA requires that the high pressure cutout kills the power to the motor in the event of excessive pressure.
At the time Turbocor said they had no provision for this. How did you deal with this?

Binman54

jittypop
10-09-2007, 12:57 AM
We have not had to deal with TSSA directly with any wiring issues only piping we have delt with INTELA for certification on the built up systems the chiller manufacture has also been certified without directly cutting the main power to the compressor, a letter from turbocor was sent to CSA that delt with this matter they are the ones that had an issue with motor protection. Now they have sent out a retrofit kit that has 175 amp fuses right on the compressor mains going into the compressor aside from the ones at the disconnect along with a couple of other items. The high pressure cutout is still tied in thru the interlock relay, their is alot of redundancy on these chillers from the compressor side and the main control panel along with the external pressure cutouts.

tuhai
10-09-2007, 05:56 AM
hello. iam a newbe.. can i have your data in DPF.
My email: (DELETED)

hipposs
14-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Hye chillerman I am intersted in this product can you please E-mail the service and technical manuals

Pooh
14-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Taz
it is the Turbocor comps that Star are using, only slight downside initially was they did not like power failures as the magnetic bearings stop working when the juice goes off, RATTLE, RATTLE, BANG.

Apparently sorted now.

Ian

hipposs
17-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry I have forgotten to put my E-mail please E-mail the data at (DELETED)

The MG Pony
23-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I heard some where on the forum here they where using graphight landing pads for power failure protection?

FYI You are not suposed to put your email on open forum!

wkd
28-11-2007, 07:34 PM
According to the info I have they use carbon lined radially and axially located bearings to support the rotor when the compressor is not energised.I guess from reading this thread that it didn't work to well in the beginning.

jittypop
29-11-2007, 05:46 AM
more than likely a problem with the capacitors that actually hold the shaft up when power is cut off to the compressor their life span is about 4 years normally.

Seenu
29-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi,
from ? capacity these Bearing Less & Oil Less Compressor starts ? We heard Mcquay is doing good in this...

chillerman2006
03-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Looks like your judgement and comments are consistant !!!