PDA

View Full Version : Oil pump

chillin out
13-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Has anybody heard of such a thing as an 'powered' oil pump?

I am fed up spending about an hour pulling and pushing on my hand pump to get the oil in the system. I thought there may be some sort of small electric one???

Chillin:) :)

NH3LVR
14-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Has anybody heard of such a thing as an 'powered' oil pump?

We use them all the time in the US. We go to Grainger for ours but any industrial supplier should be able to get what you need.
A Centrifugal pump close-coupled with a 1/2 HP (350 Watts) will do fine as long as you do not need high pressure. If you want to go against head pressure a gear pump is required.
A check valve or two is required in many cases.

US Iceman
14-12-2006, 04:34 PM
The low pressure variety for the oil pumps will work fine for adding oil to recip. compressors. But, you wil need the higher pressure type if you are working on screw compressors, because the oil is at discharge pressure.

These are much better alternatives than spending all that time manually pumping oil.

malik55
14-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I had used an old York centrifugal chillers external oil pump, as that was a small in size to carry and had a good pressure, Did some modifications and worked fine for many years, Those chillers had 2 pumps internal one with the gear and external one with the electric motor if you can get one from scrap hope it will work for you.

Peter_1
14-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Chillin, we use a simple receiver for this and push it in the compressor with the high pressure of teh system itself.
Described once this method.

US Iceman
14-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Peter,

Are you double posting to get your numbers up???:D

Peter_1
14-12-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not interested in the numbers, it happens more then once when you try to edit in the basicmode instead of the advanced.

chillin out
15-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the replies, it's definetly something I am going to look into further.

Chillin:) :)

essengineer
16-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Chillin ,I use a ceramic piston type pump at work to pump in large amounts of oil into our Dunham Bush screw chillers.We used to hand stroke in 45 odd gallons so I said nuts to that.If you want I will get the info tomorrow.

Cheers Rick