PDA

View Full Version : hydrocooling

nambiandy
12-12-2006, 04:28 AM
hi

I understand that hydrocooling is one of the pre cooling method . I have few quarries

1. after hydocooling the produce (for example apple) ,the produce is totally wet and is taken to cold store. Due to excessive wetness on the surface of apple and many apples are in contact with each other will it have any kind of any kind of surface injury (peel injury)during course of long storage.

if possible can anyone share some write up on hydocooling and which type of produce can be hydrocooled.

regards

Anand

US Iceman
12-12-2006, 05:58 AM
Due to excessive wetness on the surface of apple and many apples are in contact with each other will it have any kind of any kind of surface injury (peel injury)during course of long storage.

I have worked on two apple storage facilities (both non-CA). The owners normal course of action was to periodically spray the apples with water, while in storage for about 6 months.

This was being done for many years and closely monitored, so I would say from my experience, water does not hurt the apples.

Perhaps, with CA storage it may be different.

nambiandy
17-12-2006, 05:23 AM
thanks

can you suggest any site in net where the details of precooling for various produce is avilable.

Anand

US Iceman
17-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I do not know of any right now. You should try to find some information by using Google.com.

Try looking for hydrocooling or precooling as the key words.

NH3LVR
17-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Anand;
I goggled Vacuum Cooling Vegetables and found a bunch of links, including this one http://www.allfreshtech.com/products/vacuum.htm

Vacuum Cooling is suitable for leafy green Veggies mostly, but is a interesting process. A friend of mine used to build them. They would cool entire railway cars of lettuce in less than a hour.
He used rotary compressors discharging to atmosphere. They did not live long handling all that water, but it was a very cost effective way to handle the cooling

nambiandy
21-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the details

Samarjit Sen
04-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Apples are not meant for hydro cooling. My company has been and are still involved in Pre Cooling and Cold Storage of Agricultural Produces. We have recently installed a plant with DX system and adiabatic humdifiers. The result has been excellent. We are installing another one which will have certain new features which have not been made available in our country before.

Should you be interested you may contact me.