PDA

View Full Version : Samsung side by side

Pete the cool
06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Samsung side by side
Does anyone know whether it is normal for the plastic ice tray in the freezer to be obstructed just before it completes its' 180 degree swivel ,thereby distorting the tray, to the point I thought it was going to break. It didn't and then it returned to its' original position and refilled with water. I thought maybe it was to loosen the ice but it seems a strange way of doing it,if it is.
Also anybody ever work out in the Sultanate of Oman in the late 70's ?

Brian_UK
06-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Also anybody ever work out in the Sultanate of Oman in the late 70's ?Why? what's broken? It wasn't any of us that's for sure, we weren't anywhere near it:D

Karl Hofmann
07-12-2006, 01:10 AM
yep, it is perfectly normal for the ice tray to be distorted as a means of removing the cubes from the tray. I have a Samsung side by side and have just gone down stairs to watch it dump the ice cubes in to the holding tray. Only visited Oman briefly in the nineties whilst Wadi bashing in Dubai

Pete the cool
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi Karl,
Thanks for the confirmation. I seemed to have been involved with ice machines all my career but there always seems to be a new twist on harvesting.
I just wondered who took over looking after the five Northstar machines ,with an output of 75 tonnes a day,at the Oman National Fisheries at Muscat.
Do you regularly watch your side by side harvesting?
I know there's not much on t.v but....
Pete

Argus
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Oman?

I was in Yibal in 1979.

PDO had some big Carrier chillers with the worst example of burn-out contamination I have ever seen, either before or since.

Karl Hofmann
07-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Do you regularly watch your side by side harvesting?
I know there's not much on t.v but....
Pete

It was a tough choice, do my VAT or stand and watch the little gizmo making ice in my freezer, both beat dross on TV like the Y factor and "I'm a nobody, what am I doing here?"

Pete the cool
08-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Karl,
Hmmm -VAT- sounds riveting, but for real excitement I suggest you read ASHRAE's volume four.
Hi Argus - My carriers were open type so no burn outs -just belt wear. And where the heck is Yibal?
Brian - We know exactly where you all were 'cos we've got trackers haven't we?
Pete

Argus
08-12-2006, 05:14 PM
..... and where the heck is Yibal?

It was the biggest gas field in Oman in the 70's. It must be running down by now.
It's situated near Fahad, about 50k east of the Saudi border.

Pete the cool
12-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Argus,
I knew Oman had no oil (we were paying top wack for our fishing fleet diesel) but I didn't realise it had gas. I only occasionally got out of Muscat,the odd trip to Salalah and the Gulf of Hormuz and one memorable day trip with the family to Jebel Akhdar when we got benighted by a flash flood in one of the wadi beds.
Cheers Pete

Argus
12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Pete, they have plenty of both.
Where there's oil, there's gas and vice versa.
Not certain about refineries, though as that may account for the situation with refined fuel.
Bear in mind that I was there almost 30 years ago - things must have changed.