PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Qualifications for UK Refrigeration Engineers

Abe
02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
This is a reminder on current legislation

UK Parliament SIs 2000-Present/2006/1501-1550/Ozone Depleting Substances (Qualifications) Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/1510)/

SCHEDULE 1 Table of Minimum Qualifications
Tasks

Servicing and maintenance of equipment.

Equipment

Refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment which is stationary at all times when in operation.
Commercial and domestic refrigerators and freezers which are stationary at all times when in operation.
Portable refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment.

Minimum Qualification

(a) City & Guilds Certificate in Handling Refrigerants Scheme 2078.
(b) Construction Industry Training Board Safe Handling of Refrigerants Reference 206710.
---------------------------------------------

Dismantling of equipment.

Refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment--

(a) which is stationary at all times when in operation;

Minimum Qualification

(a) City & Guilds Certificate in Handling Refrigerants Scheme 2078.
(b) Construction Industry Training Board Safe Handling of Refrigerants Reference 206710.

LRAC
02-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi Abe
Iv'e heard rumours that any body with a City & Guilds qualification in refrigeration will soon have to replace them with NVQ.

It took me 3 years at college to get my qualifications i don't want to start over again.

Lrac

Andy
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Abe
Iv'e heard rumours that any body with a City & Guilds qualification in refrigeration will soon have to replace them with NVQ.

It took me 3 years at college to get my qualifications i don't want to start over again.

Lrac

Hi LRAC:)
When I did my apprentiship they gave us NVQ's when we filled in our log book;)
To me they will never be as good as the C&G Qualification:)

Kind Regards Andy:)

Abe
02-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Abe

Lrac

Its just a " wild" assumption

Pooh
03-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Hi Abe
Under the ozone depleting regulations yes a 2078 or CITB cert will do however under the FGAS regulations you have to be deemed competent to work on all refrigerants containing Flourine ans at a recent industry group meeting it was agreed that the minimum qualification is a level 2 NVQ in refrigeration and air conditioning which is a City & Guilds qualification number 6087/02. The other point as far as anyone wanting to work on fridge plant is the total implimentation of the Skillcard scheme which also requires the same qualification. Industry are well aware that there are alot of people out there working as refrigeration engineers who have no formal qualifications, due to the requirement for culpability in the event of an accident employers are now looking for qualified staff. The gas industry have had this for years. If anybody needs any further information drop me a PM.

Ian

LRAC I am presuming you did an apprenticeship and did at least the 207 City & Guilds exam if so you have an NVQ.

Abe
03-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Abe
Under the ozone depleting regulations yes a 2078 or CITB cert will do however under the FGAS regulations you have to be deemed competent to work on all refrigerants containing Flourine ans at a recent industry group meeting it was agreed that the minimum qualification is a level 2 NVQ in refrigeration and air conditioning which is a City & Guilds qualification number 6087/02. The other point as far as anyone wanting to work on fridge plant is the total implimentation of the Skillcard scheme which also requires the same qualification. Industry are well aware that there are alot of people out there working as refrigeration engineers who have no formal qualifications, due to the requirement for culpability in the event of an accident employers are now looking for qualified staff. The gas industry have had this for years. If anybody needs any further information drop me a PM.

Ian

LRAC I am presuming you did an apprenticeship and did at least the 207 City & Guilds exam if so you have an NVQ.

I stand corrected, not a wild assumption after all. Ill try and keep a check on whats happening

Thank you for the update

the_addict
28-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Hi,

what qualifications would you need to become a refrigeration engineer for say the likes of Space Engineering? ie being able to do call out, service and commissioning work?

many thanks for any info you could give me.

regards
Rob.

YoungBoy
28-07-2010, 04:25 PM
U need your 2079

YoungBoy
28-07-2010, 04:27 PM
or J11 in BetaMax, wats that all about??

Voyager
28-07-2010, 07:44 PM
U need your 2079

And the rest.

2079 is just the 'safe handling of refrigerants' certificate. It doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical/engineering/electrical skills needed to do the job.

I only do vehicle A/C, but that alone required C&G 6048 (vehicle a/c service & repair) and 2079. Even those have now been replaced by C&G 5101 part 1, part 2 etc.

If I didn't already know it from experience, I would also need to learn how to troubleshoot/repair DC electrical and electronic circuits.