PDA

View Full Version : D i c k turpin

LRAC
01-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi fellow uk forum posters, in the year 2007? **** Turpin will appear on most of the UK highways again, but this time he actually works for the Government.

OK not relevent to other country forum members but will the last one out of the UK please turn the lights OFF

Sorry forum wont let me use that word but its short for Richard.

Lrac

NH3LVR
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
LRAC;
You sent me to Google to looking to find out who Richard Turpin was. I discovered he was a Highwayman in the 18th century. All I know about Highwaymen is what I learned from Joan Baez's song "Kings Highway".
Since he was hanged and would be rather old and infirm, even if he was not, perhaps you could enlighten the none UK folks about the meaning of this. (In the spirit of International Relations)
We have a form of Highway Robbery here as well. It is called Photo Radar.
I visited your Country three years ago. The only time I felt robbed was paying the VAT.
I was scared a few times when a driver kept turn on the wrong side of the road (to an American).
I had visions of renting a car at Gatwick and driving into London. Between driving on the left and the traffic circles I am indeed glad I did not.

LRAC
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
LRAC;
You sent me to Google to looking to find out who Richard Turpin was. I discovered he was a Highwayman in the 18th century. Perhaps you could enlighten the none UK folks about the meaning of this. (In the spirit of International Relations)

The Government are introducing pay as your drive on most UK roads in the future, so not only do we pay top dollar for fuel and road tax we will now have to pay for each mile travelled.

In London they call it a congestion charge under the guise of environmental issues, but really its another stealth tax that we can't avoid.

Us brits should be more like the French and complain like hell, if that didn't work start burning the place.

Kind regards

NH3LVR
01-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Please do not burn too much. I loved your County!
I was staying at the Ruben's near the Palace, and the traffic was unbelievable. I took the required bus tour of London with a unbelievable knowable Lady who had a PHD in History. She told us the traffic was down because of the fear of terrorism after the 911 attacks in my Country.
I have a friend in Harrow who I went out with one night. I called him and he popped up from the Underground a hour later, two blocks away at Victoria Station. Said he only used his car on the weekends. You have the best Public Transportation system I have ever seen. I went to Hyde Park, The British Museum, Churchill's War Rooms, and Harrod's in one day. It is quite different here.
I mentioned this on another thread, but will repeat myself.
I E-mailed the Boss when I got to London. I wrote "There are 7000 Pubs in London, this may take longer than I thought"

frank
01-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I E-mailed the Boss when I got to London. I wrote "There are 7000 Pubs in London, this may take longer than I thought"

That maybe quite true but I've never visited one that served decent REAL ALE!

The Londoners don't even like a head on their beer :eek:

At least Kent has some good beers :) Sheperd Neame to name but one.

KayPoh
02-12-2006, 06:56 AM
:(
The Government are introducing pay as your drive on most UK roads in the future, so not only do we pay top dollar for fuel and road tax we will now have to pay for each mile travelled.

In London they call it a congestion charge under the guise of environmental issues, but really its another stealth tax that we can't avoid.

In Singapore, we have 'ERP' system or Electronic Road Pricing system.
Every vehicle is fitted with a little box thing at the windscreen where the cashcard with stored money value is slotted. Whenever the vehicle pass through the ERP road gantry it will deduct the money from the cashcard with a short beepsound.
ERP is activated in city areas and highways only during peak traffic hours in the morning, afternoon and evening.

Abe
02-12-2006, 08:44 AM
:(

In Singapore, we have 'ERP' system or Electronic Road Pricing system.
Every vehicle is fitted with a little box thing at the windscreen where the cashcard with stored money value is slotted. Whenever the vehicle pass through the ERP road gantry it will deduct the money from the cashcard with a short beepsound.
ERP is activated in city areas and highways only during peak traffic hours in the morning, afternoon and evening.

Yes thats what they want to introduce here. Because if they dont everything willjustr grind to a halt.

LRAC
02-12-2006, 08:59 AM
I would like to read the feed back from our American members on this subject, we in Britain are always hearing that the USA have some sort of Ammendment to give the people a fighting chance to stop too much Government interference.

You know the sort of thing 5th ammendment?

You have cheap fuel and i'm sure you wouldn't allow toll charges on everyday roads?

Lrac

TSK
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
The info on the subject I have read says a little box will be installed in the cars which links to the satalites and tracks all movement & speed, so they know whare you are, on which speed section and if you are speeding, this is not the pay as you go toll stuff, this is real big brother stuff, I think we are talking invasion of privacy! this needs to be stopped.
The muppets talking about reducing congestion all think every car on the road could be replaced by using buses, they never mention all the service guys from countless trades.

monkey spanners
02-12-2006, 05:25 PM
All we will get is customers moaning that we used the wrong (expesive route) to get to them or called at the wrong time of day etc and THEY are not paying for it.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: and :mad:

NH3LVR
02-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I would like to read the feed back from our American members on this subject, we in Britain are always hearing that the USA have some sort of Amendment to give the people a fighting chance to stop too much Government interference.
Lrac

LRAC
Our fifth amendment refers to due process being required to hold a person in jail or take his property.
I do not think this was what you referred to. If you can go into slightly more detail I will try to find which section you refer to.
There is a move to build toll roads in this country. Up until now they have been permitted to pay for road construction.
We like you are constantly having to maintain our rights to privacy, because of those who want to restrict them (just a Little, they say) for the common good.
My favorite is in our Declaration of Independence.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_of_the_governed), That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_revolution), and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

LRAC
02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
LRAC
Our fifth amendment refers to due process being required to hold a person in jail or take his property.
I do not think this was what you referred to. If you can go into slightly more detail I will try to find which section you refer to.
There is a move to build toll roads in this country. Up until now they have been permitted to pay for road construction.
We like you are constantly having to maintain our rights to privacy, because of those who want to restrict them (just a Little, they say) for the common good.
My favorite is in our Declaration of Independence.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_of_the_governed), That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_revolution), and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Hi NH3LVR

Sorry about that its the only American ammendment i know but if you haven't got 1 already you need one stating the right to free travel.

I think ive just listened to the declaration of independence on another American film, National Treasure, i like American films they always point out our crap workmanship i.e the Liberty bell.

Kind regards
Lrac

NH3LVR
02-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi NH3LVR I think ive just listened to the declaration of independence on another American film, National Treasure, i like American films they always point out our crap workmanship i.e the Liberty bell.

Lrac;
I refuse to start an International Incident over this statement. Bear in mind however, that although the Liberty Bell was cast on your side of the Pond, we apparently did not have the means to do it ourselves.

I will speak of one Manufacturer however. Being a rider of Triumph Motorcycles and driver of Austin Healy Cars in my youth, I appreciate the common saying among the oldtimers. Lucas-the people who brought you darkness:)

LRAC
03-12-2006, 07:12 AM
I will speak of one Manufacturer however. Being a rider of Triumph Motorcycles and driver of Austin Healy Cars in my youth, I appreciate the common saying among the oldtimers. Lucas-the people who brought you darkness:)

NH3LVR

Funny you should mention Triumph they virtually employ half the people in my town(Hinckley) come to think of it half my male family members as well? The bikes have got better i'm told,on the last open day i saw a massive engine being crated and shipped to the USA, 2.4 litre i think you must put it in them chopper bikes, UK bikes only go upto 1.5 litre on the Honda Goldwing could be wrong?

Once again though they are investing money abroad in Thiland for frame production + other items, so it wont be long before that goes again!

Shame really
Lrac

TSK
03-12-2006, 05:37 PM
I think we need to start the ball rolling on this one, the end user must pay! the cost cannot be absorbed, if enough people realise the true cost implications it will not get off the ground. There are far too many do-gooders in this country trying to save the world when the rest of the world are just trying to get by, using the refrigerant issue someone pointed out recently we are recovering gas down to a vacume and people are using the stuff for BB guns!