PDA

View Full Version : wet walls

jayjay
01-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Might be adumb question but why are the walls of my concrete building sweating? in the building is a 3300 sf frezzer and a 3000 sf cooler. The freezer is aluminum skined foam panels the frige is homemade 2x4 with 2" dow board.
No heat in the building.
Also is it normal to have freezer boxes and Ice maker in a cooler? seems like the heat coming of these units would be raising the temp in the cooler? How else is this done? Run a vent outside near the fan of the freezers?

taz24
02-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Might be adumb question but why are the walls of my concrete building sweating? in the building is a 3300 sf frezzer and a 3000 sf cooler. The freezer is aluminum skined foam panels the frige is homemade 2x4 with 2" dow board.
No heat in the building.
Also is it normal to have freezer boxes and Ice maker in a cooler? seems like the heat coming of these units would be raising the temp in the cooler? How else is this done? Run a vent outside near the fan of the freezers?

Are the walls sweating internaly or externaly?

Cheers taz.

Dan
02-12-2006, 03:59 AM
Might be adumb question but why are the walls of my concrete building sweating?

Because they are below the dew point of the air surrounding them. I do not mean this as a curt reply, but I have a phone call and might have to come back later for a better answer.

jayjay
03-12-2006, 03:55 PM
the building is a concrete structure with a freezer in side it. Inside of the concrete walls are wet and the outside of the freezer are wet.

US Iceman
03-12-2006, 04:04 PM
This condensation on surfaces occurs when the surface temperature is lower than the dew point temperature of the air adajcent to that surface.

It's just like a can of cold beer in the summer time. The can is cold, which allows moisture in the air to condense on the outside of the beer can.

The problem is typically caused by a lack of insulation thickness in the walls.

Or,

the insulation is full of water (or ice). Both of which have no thermal resistance to heat flow.

Or,

the space humidity is too high.

Peter_1
03-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Are you able to post some pictures?

jayjay
03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I will try and get some pictures, the building is unheated and no insulation in the building, the freezer is 4" alum. panels with foam. They could be frozen. I'm guessing the only way to cure this is let them defrost. Which I cant do. This goes back to one of my first post about how to insulate the freezer. I think I'm going to spray Iceyne around the outside of the unit and hope for the best. I only have 8" of clearence around three sides of the unit so spaying something in there seems to be the only option. I can't shut the unit down.

old gas bottle
03-12-2006, 07:05 PM
it may be that the freezer has been built tight upto the building walls,if there is not a sufficient gap between them it may track accross,there should be about 100mm gap,if you stand on top of the freezer[if possible] and shine a torche down the offending area you may see the problem,whatever is hapening it sounds bad !

jayjay
03-12-2006, 07:33 PM
The freezer unit is about 8-12" away from the brick and concrete of the building. What problem am I looking for? The building is sweating 20' away from the freezer. So I'm guesing its the entire freezer not one small part of the unit. The unit is about 60' x60' x11' high.

chillin out
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Is there any chance of putting some ventilation in the concrete building around the bad parts?

Chillin:) :)

jayjay
04-12-2006, 02:11 AM
The building is far from air tight. we have two 25x14 foot garage doors that are opened daily

old gas bottle
05-12-2006, 07:58 AM
by the sound of it ,its more of a ground/humididy type problem and nothing to do with the coldstores,the freezer may be sweating due to the high humidity and or cold ambient temperatures, similar to ,if you have a chest freezer in a cold garage say over winter, they can be covered in condensation, but when the wheather improves it stops, being over here its hard to be sure of the circumstances,good luck.