PDA

View Full Version : Pie's

monkey spanners
30-11-2006, 06:22 PM
I'm doing some subcontracting next week and every monday one of the staff there has to bring in some cakes or pies that they've made (shop bought is no good) for tea breaks. As i'll be starting on monday they've decided its my turn. I'm thinking mince pies with REAL mincemeat ha that'll teach em:D

Anybody else had odd requests from customers?

Cheers Jon

Brian_UK
30-11-2006, 07:14 PM
There was a recipe for real mincemeat pies in the weekend paper; I'll see if it's still in the house for.

jamcool
30-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Is there fake mincemeat? as opposed to real mincemeat:confused:

slingblade
30-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Its not a case of real or fake. Mince pies are a sweet tasting sort of fruit filled pie generally eaten around christmas time in the U.K. ( Why is a mixed fruit filling called Mincemeat? I dont know)

Whereas Real Mincemeat is dead Cow which has passed through a mincing machine or grinder and is usually used in the likes of more savoury dishes.;)

taz24
30-11-2006, 08:31 PM

In the UK yes:)

We have a mixed fruit that is called mince when in a pie hence Mince pie. A real christmas festive treat:eek:

There is also the normal minced meat (beef Ect) that we also call mince pie. Or mince meat pie.:)

Cheers taz.

Confused yet

benncool
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
The one with the real meat in it would be more to my liking.

Here in the US if you want to make an impression on a new job you would show up with a box of Dunkin' Donuts. To be eaten at coffee break. :)

US Iceman
01-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Here in the US if you want to make an impression...

Bring chocolate covered Krispy Kreme's. That's enough to put almost anyone into diabetic shock.

jamcool
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Here a six pack Red Stripe Beer and then try to convince the boss that u will only drink it after work:D

Abby Normal
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Red stripe plenty good

taz24
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Here a six pack Red Stripe Beer and then try to convince the boss that u will only drink it after work:D

Here, try to prevent boss drinking it:)

Cheers taz.

jamcool
01-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Can I say,this thing we call the english language is so mixed up,think there was a thread once about it,I spent a few years in the UK some time back trying to get basic fridge papers,went to a cob shop one day and heard someone order a couple fagots or faggots(not sure spelling) now in Jamaica and abby normal might know:) the word fagot or faggots(not sure the spelling):) means something than in the UK, I did try a fagot but could not come home to jamaica a tell no one that I had eaten a fagot:D ,For the confused:confused: a person who is a homosexual is call a f.... in Jamaica:) hope I have being politically correct:o

Abby Normal
01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Lol, hear the brits and scots here refer to a 'pack of fags', where as in Canada or the Caribbean a fag is one who packs fudge.

Thought you called the puffs "bunky boys" over there jam

Argus
01-12-2006, 05:17 PM

………………..,went to a cob shop one day and heard someone order a couple fagots or faggots(not sure spelling) now in Jamaica and abby normal might know:) the word fagot or faggots(not sure the spelling):) means something than in the UK, I did try a fagot but could not come home to jamaica a tell no one that I had eaten a fagot:D ,For the confused:confused: a person who is a homosexual is call a f.... in Jamaica:) hope I have being politically correct:o

If you went into a cob shop, no doubt you were in the Derby Nottingham area?

Faggots & peas is a great delicacy in some parts here.

This link is from the Black Country (slightly west and north of Birmingham)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/features/2002/12/faggots.shtml

but Faggots and peas are well known in South Wales and the West Country.
Some butchers still make their own and the recipe varies slightly.

Very good on a barbecue.

The word's probably Saxon or Danish in origin. It also means an old form of bassoon, or a bundle of firewood.

As for its transatlantic meaning….we have more entertaining and imaginative variations here.

frank
01-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Dunkin' Donuts. :)

Mmmmmmmmmm :)

LRAC
01-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Don't forget the chip shop pie, its got to be a Pukka pie.

frank
01-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Don't forget the chip shop pie, its got to be a Pukka pie.
Not in Scotland - they deep fry their pies :eek:

Quite nice actually. But I can't be doing with that Haggis stuff - yuk :(

LRAC
01-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Yep the scotts are a funny breed they have square sausages, dont ask me why?

Abe
01-12-2006, 08:39 PM

If you went into a cob shop, no doubt you were in the Derby Nottingham area?

You will only hear the word "cob" in Leicester

jamcool
01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
You guys hit the nail on the head:) lived in Nottingham for about 4 years went to school and got some work experience with a company called Formost and also with York International then left the sunny uk:D and came home,might be time to travel again:D Abby in Jamdown"puffs" have alot of names,some not fit for air play:D .
And here was i thinking that Cob shops were all over the UK:mad: what other names do they go by?

Argus
02-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Abe,

Cobs are also definitely an Nottinghamism! But it's only 20 odd miles away!

Also I come from South Wales and they are called Cobs there.

(Cobs are small, crusty bread rolls, generally filled with bacon , cheese etc. Soft rolls without a crust are sometimes called Baps - don't ask me why. We called them Baps in S W as well).

As for the rest, I'll get Dez in trouble with the thought police and a probable infraction, but the terminology is varied, imaginative and very entertaining.

That's why we call 'em Gays.

monkey spanners
03-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Mince pies in the oven. Decided on fruity mincemeat after all;) Might do them some welsh cakes as well as im bored.

Cheers Jon

Abe
05-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Talking of pies......
I need a recipe for a steak and kidney pie

Anybody know?
And next one that shouts............Google!!!

Well.......

LRAC
05-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Not being funny Abe but i think you need some Steak and some Kidney.
Hope that helps
Lrac

frank
05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Abe

Have a read here :)

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=recipes.recipe&iID=571107

monkey spanners
05-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Steak and Kidney pudding

8oz suet pastry

filling
1lb trimmed stewing steak
4oz kidney
a little seasoned flour
stock

line a greased two pint pudding basin
cut up steak and kidney, roll in the seasoned flour, place in the lined bain and fill 2/3rds full with the stock
dampen the edge, roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of the basin and seal well
cover with greaseproof paper and foil and steam for four hours.

Mmm pies:D

Brian_UK
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Mind you, you have to be careful nowadays what with the 'Elf and Safety Brigade...

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/printer_friendly/news_logo.gif
Mince pie danger to be assessed
Organisers of a village Christmas party have been told they must carry out a risk assessment of their mince pies - or their festivities will be cancelled.

Council bosses say posters will have to be displayed at the party in Embsay, in the Yorkshire Dales, warning villagers the pies contain nuts and suet pastry.
The cocoa content and temperature of the hot chocolate must also be checked.
Resident Steve Dobson said the rules had made the small party as difficult to arrange as the Great Yorkshire Show.
Mr Dobson said he learned of the regulations after writing to Craven District Council to ask if he could use a car park outside Embsay village hall to hold the free party for the community.
Bureaucracy 'gone mad'
He planned a fireworks display, mulled wine, Santa's grotto and free mince pies made by members of Embsay and Eastby Women's Institute.
"It is bureaucracy gone mad", Mr Dobson said.
"The council gave me a huge list of things we had to do. I wrote back, a little bit tongue in cheek, asking if I really had to risk assess free mince pies and a brass band, and they said yes.

We support these community events and try to help local communities make sure they are as safe as possible
Jonathan Kerr, Craven Council
"Everything we do, from putting tinsel up to providing refreshments has to be assessed. We have to consider the dangers involved, that someone might choke on their mince pie or have a nut allergy.
"I also understand that Santa may need a Criminal Records Bureau check.
"For a small Dales village we found it a bit of a joke really.
"It's gone from us hoping to use a bit of council property for a community party, to needing the same sort of planning we would have to put in for the Great Yorkshire Show."
Mr Dobson said it he was now considering moving the party to private land elsewhere in the village.
Craven Council's director of community services, Jonathan Kerr, said: "We support these community events and we try to help local communities organise them and make sure they are as safe as possible."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/6207970.stm

Published: 2006/12/04 18:57:02 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Abe
05-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks to all for your replies

Having a go this weekend

:)

Abby Normal
06-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Steak and Kidney pudding

8oz suet pastry

filling
1lb trimmed stewing steak
4oz kidney
a little seasoned flour
stock

line a greased two pint pudding basin
cut up steak and kidney, roll in the seasoned flour, place in the lined bain and fill 2/3rds full with the stock
dampen the edge, roll out the remaining pastry to fit the top of the basin and seal well
cover with greaseproof paper and foil and steam for four hours.

Mmm pies:D
I used to dread going to my grandmother's for 'steak and kidney pie'.

You guys eat tripe too, man reminds me of a movie line :"English food blows" :)

jamcool
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Any of u guys ever had ganja cake? :) serious

Abe
06-12-2006, 05:53 PM

Nope, not to sure if I want to eat the stuff
:)

Abby Normal
06-12-2006, 08:26 PM
spliff make you cough mon?

jamcool
06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
True,thats why u should not smoke it:) but soak abit in some rum add to your cake mix and bake,gives a new flavour to cake and done right u wont even get high