PDA

View Full Version : Moral.........stay poor

Abe
25-03-2002, 10:54 PM
"If all the gold in the world were melted down into a solid cube it would be about the size of an eight-room house. If a man got possession of all that gold - billions of dollars worth, he could not buy a friend, character, peace of mind, clear conscience, or a sense of eternity."

mr-cool
26-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm interesting

if you get hold of this piece of gold let me test if your theory is correct:D

Dan
27-03-2002, 01:05 AM
I had a friend way back who would have responded to Aiyub's sentiment, "Well you sure as heck cannot buy money with happiness!"

Aiyub's sentiment is a good one, of course. I love comparisons such as fitting all the gold in the world into an 8-room house. I just have to trust that it is true, and if it is, it is amazing.

I recall another gold comparison from Ripley's Believe it or Not: 1 ounce of gold can be flattened into a sheet covering a square mile, noting the malleability of gold.

But sticking with incredible comparisons (by now Aiyub hates me:)) the one that most struck me years ago was that we could fit the entire population of the world into a 1/2 mile square cube. Twenty years ago, I and a friend worked it out and provided minimal living and breathing space for every child and adult and we were astounded that it was possible. I lack the desire to re-attempt the math, but I simply enjoy surprising comparisons such as Aiyub proffered to make a point regarding perceived and real wealth.

Sorry for the digression:)

herefishy
27-03-2002, 03:02 PM
I stepped into the General Contractor's office to deliver my meager bid on a freezer re-locate. John greeted me, "Hey, that rich refrigeration guy is back!".

I think about Abe's post about "Lookin' Good", and presenting yourself as a package. I had my new denim shirt on with my newly applied logo, it looks real sharp, and a new pair of jeans. But they say you judge a man by his shoes!

It irks the heck out of me, when people proclaim your economic status and imply that you should be doin' it for free. If they only new what I was goin' through. Of course I did not appreciate the comment, but failed to point out to John, my SHOES! The old scuffed up steel toes with the soles about worn through, which I had just broken a lace on that morning. And if you looked, you could see where I tucked the knot.

I thought to myself, well time to fork up the $100.00 and get a new pair of boots, but I better see what's left in the pot after I do Payroll.

mr-cool
30-03-2002, 06:10 PM
Hello herefishy

Well matey we all get the "here comes the rich engineer"

Don't take it so serious!!!!!!!!!!

Your answer to these morons should be:-

Absolutely mate, shame I don't make any money here!!

Sure is, another couple of hundred dollars and it will make another million in the bank!!

Hey mate you know about cars.......should I go for black or navy blue for my new Aston Martin!!!

Keep it COOL

Abe
30-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Marc

Your geography teacher got it wrong, ( he ought to be shot) theres very little gold in the world. As you say, will just about cover that island, but only 1 cm thick , or a fine layer

Gibson
31-03-2002, 06:00 AM
So, for what it's worth we should be paid in gold?