PDA

View Full Version : Filter-drier part number question

Larry2
22-11-2006, 10:46 PM
The Lennox HP22-461 heat pump uses a filter-drier in the condensor unit. It has a built in check valve. This part is directly connected to the outdoor txv, forming the refrigerant control needed for directing gas through the expansion valve or around it, depending on mode. The part number on this drier is marked CG-053-S-V clearly marked "with check valve" on the side. I located an alternate part online that was said to be a replacement. The part number is C-083-S-V. It looks like it could have the check valve judging by the assymetrical contruction, but on the case it does not indicate it has a built in check valve. I would have thought a check valve function would be detailed on the label. I gather the part number breaks down into capacity with 08 being bigger tha 05, and 3 being 3/8 connections. Perhaps S for solder in. Does the V mean it has an integral check valve? This part number is not in the CatchAll data sheets I downloaded.

I think the check valve is critical to reversing refrigerant flow. Can anyone tell me if this alternate number includes the check valve? I want to be sure.

Thanks all for your help, advice and sharing through 2006 and have a great Thanksgiving.:)

Brian_UK
22-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, the V stands for check valve.

According to Sporlan, your filter type should be obtained from the unit manufacturer (Ha!) according to this bulletin:-
http://www.sporlan.com/240-10-2.PDF

You may be able to use their heat pump filters as here :-
http://www.sporlan.com/40-10-5.pdf

Larry2
23-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks Brian! There is another part number on the carton which was similar to Lennox numbers (24L23) I found. Except I located even that number by rumor. That is the number I ordered by which turned up this part. My system is configured per figure 1 in your attachment, with the drier in circuit for only one mode or one direction only.

I also obtained a bidirectional drier (BF-163S) that I plan to put in elsewhere for a thorough clean up. I couldn't see leaving this dirty piece behind and the check valve function is pretty important, so I needed to be sure it was there. Someone who proposed working on this for me planned leaving the old filter/check in place. Only when questioned about driers did he even offer adding a drier during this planned compressor swap-out. I can't see that as first class work.

I noticed inside the indoor txv that the brass is not polished shiny. It looks etched somewhat. I read somewhere else that when a pison/orifice metering device has this appearance, the sytem was not clean. Is this the case with a txv? I'll try to capture a photo later on. The sight glass says it's clean of moisture, but I am surprised at the appearance of this part. This is in a system that has never had a "burn out".

There is not much room at the left of this drier to cut it out with a tubing cutter. Sawing would introduce chips. Would you cut it out or would you heat it with the oxy/acet and disconnect it on the left after cutting it free on the right? I know heat will release contained junk, but I hate to sacrafice what little bit of tube that remains on the left. There would be inert gas flow, of course.

http://i10.tinypic.com/2ptukp5.jpg

Brian_UK
23-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Sorry Larry, forgot to answer your post yesterday.

Yes, desoldering looks the best option. Cut the right hand pipe first so that you have some 'pulling' room.

If you can make a small hole in the process pipe to the left to inject your inert (and dry!) gas then that should put a small positive pressure at the joint to be undone. Any debris should then be ejected out of the system.

Just wondering.... is that an inlet filter before the TXV? the bulbous pipe section. It appears to have some numbers stamped on it.

Also is this the TXV you are thinking about changing? If yes then perhaps you could rearrange the pipework to give yourself some more working room if you wanted to.

Larry2
24-11-2006, 05:46 PM
That's a good point Brian. That part may be a spun copper strainer. It's marked part number "P700" and it has a directional arrow marked on the side. Parker also makes a check valve with this appearance and if the txv doesn't have the check valve function built it, one would be needed right here. I think it's a strainer to keep the txv happy.

That txv stays behind. I'll clean up the surface rust and give it a coat of protective epoxy. I changed the indoor txv and it made no difference to superheat.