PDA

View Full Version : Why cant the industry standardise probes

Latte
21-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

I am sure most have us have been there set to a site and find you have a probe fault, only to find you have every probe except the one you want.

Now im not just taking about the usual ptc/ntc differences its the units like ice machines that have 3 probes all different on the same unit.

surely someone can come up with a single probe which is accurate from -30 coil up to condenser temps

Regards

Fatboy

Brian_UK
21-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Yes, you'd think so wouldn't you. Considering that most are read by a small computer of some sort; they could spend a little more time on programming the damn things to read 'em right.

Dan
22-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I find it frustrating too. Instead, we have controllers that have settings we can change to attempt to adapt to the various resistances/voltages/temperatures/pressures.

I would love to hear from probe manufacturers and distributors about this. It may not be as simple as we would like it to be, but I would think some standards are developing, and I further think somebody who distributes or manufactures transducers and temperature probes would take a lot of business away from OEM probes with a reasonable cost.

Takeshi
25-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Come across this problem alot, last week we had 2 jobs involving probes etc.
If a controller has to be replaced, we normally replace it with a Dixell Universal R, most of time they recognize alot of the different probes.