PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be Ex Airforce techie hoping to become an AC tech.

Joey Toey
12-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

Just hoping for some kind of recommendations or advice from the guys in the know.

In 5 months, I'm leaving the RAF after 20 years service as an Airframes/Propulsion technician, I dealt with all sorts of things, such as metalwork, hydraulics, pneumatics, fuel systems, O2 and N2 (Liquid and gaseous) systems and gained a HNC in aeronautical engineering.

Thing is, I don't want to work on aircraft any longer and would like to begin a career in AC and refrigeration.

To help me the MOD has very kindly given me the best part of 4 months off and a bit of cash to help with retraining. (ex-militaries would recognise this as resettlement)

I've decided that I'll take a course at Technique Training which seems to provide all the basic stuff, eg

Technique Training Certificate of Installation, Maintenance and Repair• CITB Safe Handling of Refrigerants
• City & Guilds 2078 - Safe Handling of Refrigerants Assessment
• The CITB Pipework and Brazing Course
• EAL Electrical Domestic Installer Qualification VRQ

and an electrical segment at the end which would allow me to carry out electrical installation at a competent person level.
All looks good, except that it costs a pretty penny, all of around £2500 (non-residential)

So before I commit, I really do need to know the likelyhood of me chances of getting a job, in the south east (Remember, I'm 37!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy
12-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Joey:)

a job should not be a problem:)

take a look at the jobs database, there is a fair few jobs available in A/C.

Kind Regards Andy:)

rbartlett
12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Joey:)

a job should not be a problem:)

take a look at the jobs database, there is a fair few jobs available in A/C.

Kind Regards Andy:)

I don't think it'll be quite as easy as that. A lot will look at the CV and say "no experience" and leave it. Being realistic where would you place a 37 year old 'trainee' in the business?

However I do know some of the big FM companies appear to take engineers on their word and pay them extremely favourably...

Cheers

Richard

Joey Toey
12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys.

I'd hope that some of the engineering experiance I'd gained in the AF would help me, but you never know, lol.

Just some more questions,

No1, what is an FM company?

No2, To keep Mrs Toey in the fish and chips that she's accustomed to, what pay bracket is the accepted 'norm' for a starter?

Cheers.

rbartlett
12-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys.

I'd hope that some of the engineering experiance I'd gained in the AF would help me, but you never know, lol.

Just some more questions,

No1, what is an FM company?

No2, To keep Mrs Toey in the fish and chips that she's accustomed to, what pay bracket is the accepted 'norm' for a starter?

Cheers.

Your Raf exp will certainly help as it (usually) is symbolic of self discipline and reliability which is a huge factor in todays job market.

Facilities management

http://www.plannedmaintenanceengineering.co.uk/index.asp
http://www.dalkia.co.uk/
http://www.mitie.co.uk/

Don't expect too much at first 15k+ish but it will rise quickly if they want to hold onto you -esp it the big city

Cheers

Richard

Joey Toey
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Excellent links. I'll be giving them a good reading over.
Thanks very much Richard.

So, I may be able to afford to buy the missus some mushy peas to go with her tea after a while!

Cheers.

taz24
14-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi all,

Technique Training Certificate of Installation, Maintenance and Repair• CITB Safe Handling of Refrigerants

The quals you will recieve are all exellent and although a big out-lay they will stand you in good stead. Just one point I thought of. The course seems to cover both C&G 2078 and CITB gas handling. Both the same qual but from competeing agencies and both carry the same weight in the industry. Untill you get established you could save some money doing just one off the courses perhaps?
if the training agency is worth its salt they will have contacts that if you make the grade I'm sure you will find useful.

Good luck taz.

taz24
14-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Hi all,

Iv'e reread your post and the options are duplicated on the gas handling and on the electrical. Are the course subjects mandatory or optional.
You could get by with.
Gas handling qual.
Electrical qual.
pipework and brazing.

My oppinion only. But if your paying you do not need to pay for duplicate course's.

Cheers taz.

Pooh
21-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Joey
One slight fly in the ointment the quals you are talking about will not entitle you to a Skillcard as a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer which means you may not get employment with some of the larger companies at present and under the new FGAS regulations you will not be deemed competent to work with refrigerant. Under the new regulations coming into force July 2007 you will need at least a Level 2 in refrigeration and air conditioning which equates to an NVQ. This requires you to pass the City & Guilds 6127-01 exams and produce a portfolio of evidence to prove your competence. These courses are available if required.

Ian

Tony
04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Ian,

where in the Fgas regs does it state that you need a level 2 qualification in refrigeration?

Brian_UK
04-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Joey
One slight fly in the ointment the quals you are talking about will not entitle you to a Skillcard as a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer which means you may not get employment with some of the larger companies at present and under the new FGAS regulations you will not be deemed competent to work with refrigerant. Under the new regulations coming into force July 2007 you will need at least a Level 2 in refrigeration and air conditioning which equates to an NVQ. This requires you to pass the City & Guilds 6127-01 exams and produce a portfolio of evidence to prove your competence. These courses are available if required.

IanHi Pooh, this is news to me, could you give details of where this information came from please?

Pooh
07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
The minimum qualification is part of FGAS which is still being sorted out by the goverment and the lead body but the definition of the term competent is what is required, from the information I have received from various sources they are looking at NVQ Level two initially and then raising the bar to Level three. This will bring us in line with the other EU countries who already require operatives working with refrigerants to hold a Level Three Vocational qualification, even Polond requires this, the UK is one of only a couple that does not at present. There is a slight misunderstanding in respect of the refrigerant handling qualification being level two and thus being adequate, as I am informed this is not the case, a refrigerant handling qualification does not in anyway make you a refrigeration engineer as monkeys can be taught to pass it in a couple of days. The final requirements will become clear in the near future apparently. However to obtain a skillcard as a refrigeration or AC engineer you require level two NVQ already unless you got it under grandad rights which run out in January 2006.

Ian

maddfridge
02-06-2007, 07:09 PM
pooh

thats all ok but nvq aintt that hard just loads of writing bore testomonies and getting others to sign no formal examination !

There is a fair bit of class room stuff but really nvq is aimed at people working in the industry dont know where you are but the mainteance company aat your base may be able to help both offically and unoffically

good luck

ps thought you might like my avatar Skill what dont need it !!!!!!!

davej
03-06-2007, 05:56 PM
regarding the quals i have recently been working in spain and the guys there dont even use a reclaim machine let alone have quialfications, this position was also true of a group of so called engineers i met at a heat pump seminar, they all openly admitted that they dont use reclaim machines they blow the as off!!! these guys were from holland france Jersey spain and belguim.
scandalous.