PDA

View Full Version : Whats the correct procedure for R22

cold as ice
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi guys
Could someone explain the correct proceedure for filling up an A/C unit with R22?
Ive got an experimental rig in my workshop, but I cant get the R22 into it! Ive tryed it as a liquid and a vapour and still no go. Does it have to be forced in with a pump or recovery unit?
Any help would be appeciated.

Latte
11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
R22 should make no difference whether it goes in as liquid or vapour as far as the gas in concerned.
However you do not want to be putting in loads of liquid straight into the compressor.

depending on the size of the unit, put in some liquid up to half system capacity and give it time to settle/burn off (1 min) then start the system up and continue to top up with vapour. If you have a quick charge attachment then you could go all the way on liquid but if you havnt filling up with liquid straight into the pot when its running will kill it

Regards

Fatboy

Brian_UK
11-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Have you evacuated the system first ?

Silly question but are the valves open, is the Schraeder blocked.

cold as ice
11-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I can only get about 50 grams in.
You say run the unit when aprox 50 %-Is it ok to run the unit without a full charge in it?
Can R22 be pushed in via a recovery unit?
I have vapour at the service valve - just seems like very little goes into the system

Latte
12-11-2006, 12:28 AM
can you give us any more details about the a/c unit.

50 grams seems VERY low, even at static pressure you should get more than that in.

I would have to aggree with Brian, something is seriously wrong here, once vac'd the system would proably take 50 grams to get it back to 0 psi again let along a static charge

Any more details, system type, make/model, displayed charge weight

Regards

fatboy

LRAC
12-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Silly question but are the valves open, is the Schraeder blocked.

I think your guage lines are blocked check the rubber seals are not collapsed and the depressers are all ok.

regards
Lrac

cold as ice
12-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Ive checked the lines- I have gas as far as the service valve- shreader valve appears to be working fine also.
valves are deff open!
Ive checked all the obvious stuff, but as Ive not dealt with R22 before- I thought Id ask u guys if it needed something else....

Brian_UK
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
R22 apart from its makeup is just a refrigerant just like the others, nothing special so don't blame the R22 for not going into the system.

rbartlett
12-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Ive checked the lines- I have gas as far as the service valve- shreader valve appears to be working fine also.
valves are deff open!
Ive checked all the obvious stuff, but as Ive not dealt with R22 before- I thought Id ask u guys if it needed something else....

May we ask what you have dealt with??

Cheers

Richard

cold as ice
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Ive mostly dealt with R410A.

TXiceman
13-11-2006, 02:25 AM
One question...what level of tech background do you have?

Ken

Larry2
13-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I have had the schrader valve fail to depress adequately for charge to flow. I've seen it on new hose sets and on new schrader valves. The manifold gauge goes up like normal through leakage but then no gas flows through afterwards.

I've seen the same thing with a line tap schrader kit. After a few minutes and after considerable charge went through, rubber parts inside swelled and no further gas would flow through the valve either direction.

With lines hooked to the low side, you should be able to get enough gas in with the system off that the gauges will respond when you power the unit up. Then the pressure will drop in the suction line and allow metering in the rest of the charge.

Where are your gauges connected?

taz24
13-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi guys
Could someone explain the correct proceedure for filling up an A/C unit with R22?
Ive got an experimental rig in my workshop, but I cant get the R22 into it! Ive tryed it as a liquid and a vapour and still no go. Does it have to be forced in with a pump or recovery unit?
Any help would be appeciated.

:eek: If you need to ask that question you realy do need to ask yourself should I be working on this system at all:eek:

Cheers taz

star882
13-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I've seen the same thing with a line tap schrader kit. After a few minutes and after considerable charge went through, rubber parts inside swelled and no further gas would flow through the valve either direction.
I had something like that happen with a can tap. Once the static charge (of R134a in my case) slowly went in, I closed the high side gauge valve and started the system. It took a long time to put 12oz of R134a into the unit. I decided to close the low side gauge valve, turn the can upside down, and carefully open the valve again. The can tap iced up, indicating a restriction. After I used up the can and disconnected the hoses, I took the can tap apart and found a deformed rubber valve seat. I already have valves on my gauges, so I just took the seat out. It should work much better the next time I use it!

The MG Pony
14-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Indeed, Long as there is oil the thing can run! you won't get any cooling and will heat the compresser nicely with no gas but it will run happily like this for up to 2 minutes (More then enough to charge gas into to).

As Mr said you ARE doing it via low side right? and have don a full vac? & Leak tested?

Being you are in the UK are you aware of the curren't laws pertaining to R-22?

leftjobrunning
14-11-2006, 10:10 PM
:rolleyes: Does the R22 container seem unusually light???
This may be due to container emptyness.

Peter_1
15-11-2006, 07:45 AM
The NRV in the cylinder is blocking perhaps?

verstep
15-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi! I'm new this stuff. If everything goes okay the way you charged as far all the suggestion you followed. It might be the problem is the compressor - loss compression perhaps or charging at low atmospheric pressure.
That's all I could share

Larry2
18-11-2006, 05:35 AM
:rolleyes: Does the R22 container seem unusually light???
This may be due to container emptyness.

Sounds like a typical eBay purchase...

mcjo tech
18-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Do you have both high and low side gauges attached? Is there any heat transfer occuring when you are operating the system? I would suggest using a core removal tool to remove the schrader core and then attaching your gauges to the tool. Beyond that we would need more information regarding your system and symptons occuring.