PDA

View Full Version : Ice Making

Abe
19-03-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a requirement for a ice making plant in Malawi. Apparently there arent many domestic fridges around, so the locals rely on buying chunks of ice on a daily basis.

The requirement is for around 50 tonnes of ice production per day. So I take it we fill large plastic tubes with water and freeze them overnight.

Are members able to offer me advice on what plant is required, ect?

Any advice will be appreciated

Abe

herefishy
19-03-2002, 10:20 PM
Abe,
www.preetengineers.com ?

If you want block ice, brine may be the way to go.

El Tel
20-03-2002, 05:08 AM
Do you want to build it yourself, or purchase?
For purchase: www.tubeice.com in the USA
Several companies make them here in Venezuela, too.
Always fancied building my own, but I'm too busy fixing other people's.
If your installation is going to be out in the sticks, and you need a cheap, easy solution, think about making ice in large panels. It's easier to build a flatbed machine than a multi-tubular device. You can chop the panels up with a power saw.
Plastic tubes won't last long. You need to use all stainless-steel parts on a tuber. Big production machines generally use ammonia.
Interesting thread. I love out-of-the-way problems.

Abe
20-03-2002, 08:53 PM
Marc,

Those "fruit boxes" are just right for this application. Im waiting for a full spec from the client , was on the phone to him last night and amid the crackles and hisses ( thats African telecomms for you) somehow we discussed the thing.

So I await fuller details before I can go any further at this stage. When I was at Coke we had a similar ice plant. A company called Ajax Refrigeration installed it. We had a huge tank , those round ones made of corrugated sheets, the types you see on farms in SA, anyway they had a huge coil inside it, during the day they filled it with water and chilled the water, then late afternoon with a hose filled plastic bags with the chilled water which were hung on racks in a freezer room. Overnight the ice was made and sold off the following day.

Theres a guy I know who does nothing but sell Ice, he has around 6 freezer rooms making the stuff

Recoil, there in Selby arent they? Recam are in Boksburg. I went to see this guy at Recam and asked him why I dont see his blowers being sold by the parts companies in Europe. With the weak rand they could sell them well here. The quality seemed good anyway, on par with the Friga Bogns and Russell, etc

I dont think it got through to him that he could tackle these markets, maybe he did, I dont know. I still feel there is a place for SA manufactured evaporators here.