PDA

View Full Version : Help with condensor pump

Bakerbj
08-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi guys, really need your help.

I have installed a Mitsubishi SRK 40 with a aspen universal condenser pump, working from the signal.

The power goes to the indoor unit then from there to an outdoor unit via a 4 core cable. The pump also has a four core cable. But when the outdoor unit runs the pump does not. I have connected the cable to the connectors on the indoor unit and I am getting 240v at the pump.

The connectors are no 1, no 2/n, no 3 and earth. The 4 core cable between the indoor and outdoor unit match up and works fine, but not 100% sure which is live ect for the pump, the pump instructions tell me which is live, neutral and signal for the pump, but which numbers do they go to.

Any help most grateful

Brian_UK
08-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi Bakerbj, firstly if you are working from a 'signal' then you do not have a 'universal' pump but a 'standard'.

The universal has temperature sensors and to be honest would have been a better bet for a condensate (not ..ser) pump.

According to the Aspen website, here http://www.aspenpumps.com/index2.html
the connections are:-

Brown - permanent live
Blue - neutral
Black - Control signal
G/Y - earth

the pump instructions tell me which is live, neutral and signal for the pump, but which numbers do they go to.
Slight grammar hiccup here, are you saying that the Aspen pump only has numbered wires and not colours ?

Bakerbj
09-11-2006, 07:05 AM
ok Sorry

I know the wiring colours for the aspen pump, just need to know where they conect to on the SDK40, so on the SKD40 is no 1 or no 3 terminal the live, I assume no 2 is Neutral. The problem is the SKD40 doesnt tell you

LRAC
09-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Power to indoor unit live,neutrel,earth etc. Just find the live supply to indoor unit and connect pump live and signal you must fit an inline fuse to the pump at the rated size not full mains power. You would have been better getting a pump with probes or a mini lime pump as the above will run constantly sorry but thats the best you can achieve with that pump.

regards
Lrac

frank
09-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi guys, really need your help.

I have installed a Mitsubishi SRK 40 with a aspen universal condenser pump, working from the signal.

The power goes to the indoor unit then from there to an outdoor unit via a 4 core cable. The pump also has a four core cable. But when the outdoor unit runs the pump does not. I have connected the cable to the connectors on the indoor unit and I am getting 240v at the pump.

The connectors are no 1, no 2/n, no 3 and earth. The 4 core cable between the indoor and outdoor unit match up and works fine, but not 100% sure which is live ect for the pump, the pump instructions tell me which is live, neutral and signal for the pump, but which numbers do they go to.

Any help most grateful

Looking at the wiring details http://www.3dair.co.uk/electrical.html
I would assume that the four wires consist of
Compressor Live
Neutral
Fan Live
Reversing Valve

Is there a wiring diagram inside the cover?

If you have a meter then you could check out which wire becomes live as you switch on the indoor unit.

The live and neutral wire for the pump need to be connected to the indoor supply side via an inline fuse or a fused spur as LRAC said. The signal wire for the pump should be connected to the compressor signal to the outdoor.

NoNickName
09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Just my humble 2 eurocents. Is there a floating sensor which activates the pump, as in the GentleGiant's?

frank
09-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Just my humble 2 eurocents. Is there a floating sensor which activates the pump, as in the GentleGiant's?

No, it's a peristaltic pump operated by a second 240v input on the Standard pump and operated by a differential temperature across 2 sensors on the Universal pump.
http://www.aspenpumps.com/index2.html

Bakerbj
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
OK

I have installed two srk40's and RPW only had one Universal pump ( senors ) so I had to take a standard ( signal ) pump. Ihave installed both systems and they work great so does the Universal pump, but getting no joy from the Standard pump. The unit is about 4wk and the room is only 2x3meters so in the weather it is not working very much. I am getting 240 volts on the Live and neutral and the singal i keep getting OL flashing, When i press the test switch the pump runs. Will this pump work with this system ???

The units use 4 core cable, 3+earth. the standard pump also has 3+earth

LRAC
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
"I am getting 240 volts on the Live and neutral and the signal i keep getting OL flashing, When i press the test switch the pump runs. Will this pump work with this system ???"

Sounds like you've picked the wrong live to get the a/c to give a fault code use the mains live as previously posted for the pump live and signal.

regards
Lrac

Please somebody tell me how to bubble the reply

frank
09-11-2006, 08:25 PM
OK

I have installed two srk40's and RPW only had one Universal pump ( senors ) so I had to take a standard ( signal ) pump. Ihave installed both systems and they work great so does the Universal pump, but getting no joy from the Standard pump. The unit is about 4wk and the room is only 2x3meters so in the weather it is not working very much. I am getting 240 volts on the Live and neutral and the singal i keep getting OL flashing, When i press the test switch the pump runs. Will this pump work with this system ???

The units use 4 core cable, 3+earth. the standard pump also has 3+earth

With 3 wires to the outdoor it will be compressor live, neutral and reversing valve live. You should be able to see which is reversing valve live by selecting heat or cool from the controller.

I don't know what the error code OL is http://www.3dair.co.uk/error-codes.html

It's not listed :confused:

frank
09-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Please somebody tell me how to bubble the reply

Use the "quote" button on the bottom of a post then just delete the portion of the quote you don't want to appear.
Make sure that you don't delete the square brackets :)

LRAC
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
cheers frank
Lrac

frank
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
The unit is about 4wk and the room is only 2x3meters so in the weather it is not working very much. I am getting 240 volts on the Live and neutral and the singal i keep getting OL flashing

I just thought - is the OL flashing on you METER? and not the controller?

Take the cover off the unit and hold the return air sensor to get it to run in low ambient conditions.

Using a Standard pump on a heat pump in this way will let the pump run whenever the compressor is running - not ideal in heating mode :rolleyes:

Brian_UK
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Stick a bucket under it until you can get the right pump ;)

Bakerbj
09-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry yes it is OL on the meter.

People say that it is compressor live, neutral and reversing valve live, so therefore not a signal. SO this pump won't work then ???

or can i do something ???

Brian_UK
09-11-2006, 11:18 PM
NO, the pump won't work correctly with a heat pump.

Connect the pump L/N to the indoor L/N and connect the signal to the compressor live terminal. This will then run the pump whenever the unit runs whether it be in heating or cooling.

One other thing to check is the reversing valve signal. Is it live when heating or cooling ? If it is live on cooling then use it for your signal wire.

Be prepared to replace the pump tube twice as often compared with normal operation, also get a spare drive wheel.

Best bet is to get this pump working, order a universal pump and as soon as it comes in swap the two over. Keep the 'standard' pump for another job or as an emergency van stock pump.

Sorry, last comment..... you can always make the pump run 24/7 by connecting the signal wire to the live terminal as well. It does however kill the pump early and the dry running noise upsets the customer.

Bakerbj
10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
As I have had to go through floor and ceilings witht hte cables, replacing this pump would a real nightmare, is there another option ?? is there a different make of pump that you would recommend ? or would it be possible to put the pump on a timer ? connect it so it runs all the time then have the timercut the feed then to come on for 2 hours near the end of the day ?

Brian_UK
10-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Concerned to hear about the access problem.

You appear to be generating a future Health and Safety danger for whoever has the maintenance tasks for this pump later on.

Any pump that you use should be accessable with reasonable ease.

rbartlett
10-11-2006, 09:08 AM
mini aqua at the back of the indoor and powered from 1&1 IE L&N

Cheers

Richard.

Bakerbj
10-11-2006, 02:56 PM
The pump is accessable but i had to lift floor boards to get the pipes and cables in.

I will try a mini aqua, the aspen pump can be heard in one of the offices.

I can install the mini and take out the aspen and join the water pipe where the aspen was.

Many thanks

Slim R410a
11-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Changing a consensate pump should be a very easy job, not a nightmare.
I think youve got a bit confused, you dont have to change any of the drain hose you have installed providing its the right size.
What type of setup have you got? i.e I presume its a wall mount, which way does the pipework go?
If it goes out from the left or right of the unit and then up into the ceiling I would use a saurmann delta/mini lime which has the pump sat in the elbow of the trunking. OR if you can get to the ceiling void then an Aspen Mechanical peristaltic would do the job, the pump sits in the void and a float swich box sits inside the wall mount, when the float swich fills up it powers the peristaltic pump and condensate is pulled through a hose into the pump and disharged into the main drain hose.
As mentioned before, always fit a switched fuse spur, normally with a 1amp fuse depending on the pump.
Hope this helps?

zarohliburd
16-11-2006, 08:23 PM
:confused: look for a wiring diagram u cant go wrong with that o please use ur volt meter to determin which wire is power and which wire is control and if i were you ill send the power from the pannel to the out door unit first because of the amp ratings ant then to the inside unit;)

eggs
13-06-2009, 11:50 PM
does he know why the floats in mini lime/orange forget to float ??

eggs

Karl Hofmann
14-06-2009, 12:39 AM
does he know why the floats in mini lime/orange forget to float ??

eggs

Or why the cheap plastic tags break off so that mine is now held together with a zipstrip?

Legend... I take it that you work for Aspen... I object to your pathetic marketeering and so shall make a mental note to fit pumps made by other manufacturers.

Does Dr Bob know what a pain in the rear you are?