PDA

View Full Version : Interesting CO2 info

US Iceman
06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
I happened to be looking for some information today and found this interesting website. So.... I thought it should be shared!:cool:

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/

Happy reading everyone.

NoNickName
06-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Nice!
Thanks

Samarjit Sen
10-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Very good site. Thank you.

rolland
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Very nice!Thanks.

TXiceman
11-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Nice site. Isn't it amazing that CO2 has been rediscovered?

Ken

Mark Sanchez
11-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Hello,

Have you guys seen a large use of CO2/NH3 systems.

We have considered a few in design.
We have also discussed these with a large US cold storage company. They have installed two up to this point.

Mark

US Iceman
12-11-2006, 03:41 AM
Isn't it amazing that CO2 has been rediscovered?

Yep. Just think... In another 25 years or so, someone may discover ammonia is a good refrigerant. Now wouldn't that be news?:rolleyes:

nh3simman
24-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello,

Have you guys seen a large use of CO2/NH3 systems.

We have considered a few in design.
We have also discussed these with a large US cold storage company. They have installed two up to this point.

Mark

We had a visiting speaker from Scotland in 2004. Andy Pearson from Star Refigeration.

Andy talked about applications for CO2 was quite an eye opener. Their web site had some interesting articles (not sure if still there)

http://www.star-ref.co.uk/

Geoff Alder met with Andy after his talk and summarised things quite nicely. He used to have the pdf on his web site...

http://alder.co.za/

I'm sure that he will email it to anyone on request.

The problem I have with the CO2 refrigeration is the super-critical cooling (not condensing right). My problem is, what happens if the temperature drops and you hit the critical point?

I read a report recently of a proposal for a deep mine cooling system. This proposed a cascade system with CO2 plant underground (3800m deep) and an ammonia heat rejection plant on the surface.

I'm not sure of the safety issues here, maybe someone can comment about the safety of CO2.

Rob S
12-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I take it your referring to asphyxiation. There are O2 and CO2 sensors available.
Work with LNG alot. As long as you use the proper protective gear. Not alot of concern.

Hussni Sultan
03-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi Every Body,
i Jordanian Engineer , working in large Cascade system(Ammonia/Co2)using Low Carbon ASTM seamless pipe & i am loking for the typical method for pipe cleaning (sand blasting & Passivation),can you advise me for the typical method for Passivation procedure.

My E-mail : eng_hussni@yahoo.com

Thanks

Hussni Sultan

TXiceman
04-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Hussni, typically you do not want any abrasives or chemical cleaning solutions in the refrigerant piping. Piping should be bought as descales of all loose scaling, capped with tape and plastic or plastic caps until used. Keep pipe stored indoors only.

As for cleaning, use proper welding techniques to minimize trash inside the pipe. After welding, push or force rags through the pipe as best you can. As pipe is assembled, keep it sealed.

Last, use the proper sized strainers for your pumps, compressors and valves and plan to clean them within the first few days of operation, I like to use start up socks in the compressor suction.

Yes, the strainers will get dirty as this is the purpose of a strainer.

To try and blast the piping and/or use chemicals and passivating is far more trouble than keeping the piping system closed and clean.

Ken

Hussni Sultan
07-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Dear Mr.Ken,

Many thanks for your information.

Best Regards
Hussni Sultan