PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia accumulator/low pressure receiver

ham
06-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi all
I am looking for a program that I can use to design accumulators/ low pressure receivers on 4x overfeed, pump recirculation systems. Can anyone help with this? Hamish Horrell

US Iceman
06-11-2006, 05:53 PM
If you are looking for a program that does the mechanical design for wall thickness requirements and nozzle locations I'm afraid you are looking for a very expensive program. There are a few, but very costly.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a program to select vessel sizes to meet a specific operating condition (capacity, temperature, storage volume, etc.) I'm afraid you are out of luck. At least I do not know of any commercial programs for this purpose.

The manufacturers may have programs they use "in-house" for design and selection, but I doubt they will release these to outside parties.

Typically, the only thing that has been available are the selection tables provided by the vessel manufacturers.

What are you exactly trying to accomplish with this?

PS. Welcome aboard ham! Please tell us something about your background and experience levels.

ham
06-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello there
My name is Hamish Horrell, based in Cape Town, South Africa. I have been working in the Industrial refrigeration market for 11 years, having studied mechanical engineering, dealing mostly with ammonia refrigeration.
I am actually wanting to select a vessel size for a particular kW refrigeration rating. I used to have a very basic program that could give vessel sizes, but this seems to not work anymore.
I do not have any accumulator selection tables - do you know where I can get any, as I am sure this will be sufficient.

US Iceman
06-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Hamish,

As you might guess, most of my sources are US based so you might have to deal with some unit conversions.

Here is a link that provides some basic information on the subject:

http://www.evapco.com/media/pdf/asme-recircular.pdf

Do you think there is a market for software like this?

bruceboldy
08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Hamish

Although I do Mostly AC engineering now for trane when I was with Frick they had a software selection program s for ammnia and halocarbon recirculators I am sure it had the capability to do misc recir rates such as 1 to 1 to 6 o1 etc.
Call the frick sales or email and I am sure they will send somehing
In addition, my old company, Isotherm can size up what ever you need in vessel and package design.

david

GBRD
14-12-2009, 02:06 AM
US Iceman, can you pl confirm if the kWr for vessels is the kWr of the whole plant in general?

US Iceman
14-12-2009, 03:26 PM
US Iceman, can you pl confirm if the kWr for vessels is the kWr of the whole plant in general?

The way I see it is: kW(R) for the vessels is the same as kW(R) for anything else. If the compressor is connected to an accumulator the accumulator capacity should have approx. 20% more capacity than the total compressor capacity connected to the accumulator. IIRC ASHRAE made a statement similar to this in the accumulator design topic section. The 20% factor is an allowance for unsteady state operation, which is something that is often forgotten.

Vessels are relatively inexpensive compared to compressors (or repairs!), therefore I tend to use much larger vessel capacity than the minimum capacity stipulated by the design capacity.

GBRD
14-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I've been observinig your replies on the forum for many questions since past few months, I find you MOST accurate & precise always. Thank you.

kgmuralidharan
07-03-2010, 03:23 AM
you can visit my website You will get a accmulator literature, where in you will get a schedule......all the best

D.D.KORANNE
05-05-2010, 11:49 AM
TO DESIGN AN ACCUMULATOR , FOLLOWING DATA IS REQUIRED :
EVAP TEMP : CONDENSING TEMP :
COMPRESSOR CAPACITY :
COMPRESSOR DISPLACEMENT :

BASED ON THIS INFO , WE CAN ARRIVE AT CAPACITY OF VESSEL FOR THE APPLICATION .

mail PM : ddk0123@gmail.com

abidmech
01-08-2011, 05:50 AM
Dear

we are dealing the GEA Grasso Ammonia Compressor both single stage and booster type in Pakistan and also offer the lumpsum base solution to the customers. Can your please send your total refrigeration capacity in kw or Tr so that i can suggest the size of accomulator(low pressure side) and receiver vessel (high side)?

Regard,
For any additional details, feel free to contact us, we remain at your disposal.

Best Regards,

Abid Ameen
Project Engineer
(http://www.dec.com.pk/)