PDA

View Full Version : Compressor Info Kelly k & Kelly y

Bones
06-11-2006, 07:24 AM
hey guys!

i did a search on google and here, but couldnt manage to find the information i was looking for.

i'm helping a friend (love job) pipe up a few freezer rooms and the compressors he has are a kelly k on one room and a kelly y on the other, the information i'm after is basically any technical info regarding the compressors anyone may have or know ie. bore/stroke eg...

the other problem he has is both units are currently running on blends of r12 and 'something' else, so i am trying to get him to run a single blend of gas like 404a a suitable low temp gas for his application so all the controls and the like can be setup properly, but the problem is at the moment the old compressors run on mineral oil and i'm scared POE will do some major damage to these two units, has anyone retrofitted these compressors to a POE based oil successfully? i'm terribly worried about shaft seals and bearings etc being destroyed.

Temprite
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
G'day Bones.

You may not get many responses for this. Correct me if I'm wrong but Kelvinator open drive comps are only an Australian thing I believe.

We have several of these units running on R12 drop in's with POE oil. Haven't had any problems with shaft seals or bearings as of yet.Have had more problems with Terry comps running on POE and drop in's.

Try Actrol,Heatcraft or a compressor rebuild place.(In Vic we have Recom, John Beal dont know about NSW) for a capacity for these units, they will probably ask you the pulley size and the capacity will probably be for R12. I once got a capacity rating for a Terry PJS through one of Actrols engineers who had some old literature Might be enough to get you where you want to go.

Bones
08-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks Temprite,

I think you might be onto somthing there about only being aussie compressors, the rest of the world didn't know what they missed out on!

We have heatcraft and RES here, there main concerns mirror my own... was hoping someone may have done somthing similar, even the old timer fridge guys here all have different opinions... I do have all the information on both systems, pulley sizes etc (just cant find the one with the coil info written down on atm).

Your right about those old Actrol books... those things are worth there weight by tripple in gold!

Brian_UK
08-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Using the full compressor name instead of you local nickname for them might have helped the rest of us ;)

Bones
28-11-2006, 10:26 PM
well, the kelly Y is also known as a "Kelvinator 72", this is the one with the larger crankshaft designed originaly for use on 502 rather then 12. cant answer much more then this, as i have very rarely worked on open drive units... most of my work has been done on tin cans.

also i have been looking through my notes, because i want to change the speed of the compressor. i have the formula to work out what my RPM is at the moment which is

motor pulley x motor rpm / flywheel

100 x 1440 / 380 = 378.9rpm

but i cant find the formula through my notes of how to work pulley change size etc... maybe someone can help me here on this one!