PDA

View Full Version : English language

Latte
04-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi All,

well first of all i would like to say well done to all out posters from oversea's who dont use English as their first language but still manage to post. I still have problems now as follows:-

Each week on strictly come dancing (My wife forces me to watch it honest) they say on the results show
"the next couple safe" or "the next couple to leave IS"

Surely this should be the next couple ARE as its plural.
My wife says it must be "is" as surely an institution like the BBC would be correct. I am not so sure.

perhaps we should have another forum "grumpy old men"
i must be getting old things annoy me know that never used to

Regards

Fatboy

winfred.dela
04-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi All,
well first of all i would like to say well done to all out posters from oversea's who dont use English as their first language but still manage to post.

Thanks also for the venue - From the Phils.
We can now polish our english even at home.
Though, we still struggle, to learn the difference between europe, US, asia pacific (NZ/Australia).

Especially the diction, but we're learning past.
Those Filipinos working in the call centers (in Manila, Cebu, Davao) can now talk in any kind of english complete with different dictions & sounds. :)

Each week on strictly come dancing (My wife forces me to watch it honest) they say on the results show
"the next couple safe" or "the next couple to leave IS"

Surely this should be the next couple ARE as its plural.
My wife says it must be "is" as surely an institution like the BBC would be correct. I am not so sure.

We need to know BBC's opininion on this one. But, how?
We could use a COUPLE of lessons from the expert. :)

Hi All,
perhaps we should have another forum "grumpy old men"

No need Sir, we got one here. . . now. . . :) :) ;)

Temprite
05-11-2006, 04:54 AM
ENGLISH

Bits of our language are made for a poet.
Bits of our language are scruffy and rough.
None of it helps the poor foreigner know it.
Spelling in English is really darn tough.

O-U-G-H is a trap for the tyro,
Thought through to rough you right into the ground.
Cough though it means your mind spins like a gyro.
Hold to your bough or you'll turn right around.

All of this makes our great language elastic,
Expressing ideas with it's nuances fine.
It really is useful to keep meanings plastic,
Avoiding the pitfalls of toeing a line.

The best in the world for it's lateral thinking,
Inventions pour out like a fast rushing tide.
Subtlety, wit, it all comes without blinking,
For English is best, may it ever abide!

walden
05-11-2006, 09:44 AM
I have much admiration for those who have to learn English as a foreign language. In the USA the word ‘couple’ is generally thought of as a singular noun and would be followed by a singular verb. However, in the UK the word ‘couple’ takes its plurality, or not, depending on the context of the sentence and if the speaker or writer thinks that the word is describing two things acting together or separately. So, are the dancers acting as one? If so, then ‘is’ will be correct.

Andy P
05-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Temprite - brilliant: the boy done good!

In answer to the original question if only one couple is leaving then the verb should be singular (even in England). Where the USA differs from "English English" is in the way they refer to teams: a US sports commentator might say "The Giants was beaten at home", whereas UK usage would be "United were beaten at home". I have to say that in this respect the US usage is more logical, although it still sounds very odd over here.

cheers
Andy P

taz24
05-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I have much admiration for those who have to learn English as a foreign language. In the USA the word ‘couple’ is generally thought of as a singular noun and would be followed by a singular verb. However, in the UK the word ‘couple’ takes its plurality, or not, depending on the context of the sentence and if the speaker or writer thinks that the word is describing two things acting together or separately. So, are the dancers acting as one? If so, then ‘is’ will be correct.

Dito.
People who do not speak English as their first language but who talk and communicate in English have my admiration.

I agree with Walden. When used to describe somthing acting as one I belive that it is a singular use of the term and therefore is described as "is" and not "are"

cheers taz.