PDA

View Full Version : Positioning AC unit

chillin out
03-11-2006, 05:06 PM
This is how NOT to position an AC unit.....
http://hideurl.net/?r=4os

Chillin:) :)

Brian_UK
03-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Looks like he blew his gearbox...

cruzeiros
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
LOL Brian_UK

do not try this at.... work. At least it was a happy end. But they didn't said anything about the company who made the job. They repaired the unit ? :)

Latte
03-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Did the pilot put he knew how to autorotate on his risk assesment, is so he needs more practise.

Assuming the unit was precharged, that would have been a big bill, new helicopter and venting refrigerent fine

Regards

Fatboy

Abe
04-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Do we know exactly what happened , ie what caused the pilot to led load go, mechanical error on craft?

taz24
04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Do we know exactly what happened , ie what caused the pilot to led load go, mechanical error on craft?

Iv'e seen the clip before and if you look close at the tail rotor it is not moving. In my oppinion the drive to the tail rotor has failed and therefor the helicoptor starts to spin. The pilot fights hard to control and releases the unit to give him more control. He is in a downward spriral from the moment the tail rotor fails. To increase the power enough to keep in the air just causes the helicoptor to spin, reduceing the power and stop the spinning causes the helicoptor to fall out of the sky.

Cheers taz.

AndY1
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM
IMO that was a very good pilot.

He did exactly what he was supposed to in such an event.

1. Drop the payload with no loss of life
2. Land the chopper with no loss of life (incl. his own)

taz24
05-11-2006, 03:39 PM
IMO that was a very good pilot.

He did exactly what he was supposed to in such an event.

1. Drop the payload with no loss of life
2. Land the copper with no loss of life (incl. his own)

I agree.
He came down hard but I would say that he was in control. He did not want to hit the ground spinning that would of caused the helicopter to rip apart under the stress.
All landings you walk away from are good landings:)
A pilot friend of mine told me how he answers the usual question asked to pilots. "How many times have you flown a plane? He replies I have had as many landings as take offs!!

Cheers taz

AndY1
05-11-2006, 09:08 PM
If you watch closely, you can see, how the pilot throttled down the enginge seconds before impacting the ground.
By doing so, he momentarily stopped the spin he was in (due to negative momentum on his propeler blades) and hit the the ground almost without spining.

This pilot is good, very good.