PDA

View Full Version : Why don't A/Cs have gas pressure gauge

AndY1
02-11-2006, 09:11 AM
I was wondering. Why don't Arir Condition Units (outside or inside unit) have a gas pressure gauge?

I read on various forums, how their A/C stop heating/cooling and then it turned out, that the gas leaked out.

Why don't A/C have such a gauge so the user would see exactly the gas pressure in the system (like natural gas central heating system, which has water pressure gauge)?

rbartlett
02-11-2006, 10:25 AM
now that inverters are becoming the norm a gauge reading isn't any use

cheers

richard

daddymac
02-11-2006, 11:08 AM
...Also, fixed speed (Non Inverter) units tend to be more common at the Budget end of the market so cost is everything. If it works without, they won't fit it!

DM:D

AndY1
02-11-2006, 11:16 AM
now that inverters are becoming the norm a gauge reading isn't any use

cheers

richard

Why is that so?

If there's a gas leak, I'd still like to know about it, or at least some sort of error code being displayed by the internal unit.

Brian_UK
02-11-2006, 10:11 PM
As a gauge costs money then they will not be fitted as standard.

AndY1
03-11-2006, 06:25 AM
I thought as much that that is the only reason.

taz24
03-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I thought as much that that is the only reason.

Money is one main reason but the other is
"a little information is dangerous" The preassure gauge does not indicate refrigerant contents. It relates to the pressure and temp of the refrigerant at that moment. A gauge would not indicate loss of gas and would alter dependent on ambient temps. A customer with no experience would not be expected to understand that.

Cheers taz.

KayPoh
04-11-2006, 10:02 AM
A sight-glass put into the system will indicate the refrigerant condition. But it will add to the cost.
There is other sign of gas leak like ice formed on evaporator coil (provided it is not due to clogged coil).

NoNickName
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I agree, money is everything. If you assure me that all your splits will go through me, I'll install whatever you like in them, at a higher price than market.
Since nobody will buy from you at those prices, I won't bother.

Andy
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Splits probably don't need gauges:)

Better to measure the liquid line suction line and discharge temperature:)

If you service splits this way you will not reduce there performance everytime you remove your gauges:D

Kind Regards Andy:)