PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in Greece

Abe
28-10-2006, 07:15 PM
I refer to the tragedy in Corfu where two young children died through carbon manoxide poisoning.

From the BBC website I have copied the following:

"Chief of police Dimitris Bineris said the hotel owner, hotel manager, maintenance manager and an engineer who installed an air conditioning unit would be charged with negligent manslaughter once toxicology tests on the children's blood have been completed."

My question is: why is the air conditioning engineer being held?
Maybe in Greece the sc systems are linked with the gas

old gas bottle
28-10-2006, 08:05 PM
might just be a mistake,i thought it was the gas water heater but there outside in a vented outbuilding, the condition looked dubious though,awfull tragedey.

LRAC
29-10-2006, 09:12 AM
It looks like the boiler room vents were next to two air conditioning units, sky news suggest that the holes for the pipework were not sealed correctly allowing the fumes into the chalet.

very sad when you have children invloved on a family holiday which should be a time of happy family gatherings.

regards
Beechy

KayPoh
04-11-2006, 12:49 PM
We had a similar case some years back when a family moved into their new apartment. The young son was found dead in bed the next morning.
Police found that the carpenter had unknowingly hammered a nail into the wall and punctured a concealed town gas pipe in the wall shared with the kitchen. Anyway it was illegal to conceal town gas pipe in the wall.