PDA

View Full Version : Dose anyone else get the hump...

cold as ice
22-10-2006, 05:23 PM
I dont know about everyone else but I certainly get the hump with new regulations comming into force, us engineers spending thousands to get into compliance only to find people still doing it the good old way, for half the price we now have to charge!

There are very few trades where you dont require registration with some "body" or need to renew training or assessments every couple of years.

I think its a good idea for engineers to receive some refresher training, however i believe the various training providers are just milking the system.

take a couple of trades for example-
Corgi- anyone can buy a gas appliance with out challange and fit it
Refrigerant safe handling certificate- Air con units on sale in B&Q- say no more!
Part L, Part P, Part M- I see and hear of several cases a week where house holders have either done things themselves or had some one who is unqualified in to do it.
The annoying thing is - If the government inforced these regulations us engineers would have loads more work!
What do others think?

taz24
22-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I agree to some extent with you but I also feel that increasing the quality of the engineer, quality of the trade will prevale. I think that when inforce some of the less scroupulas (spelling) amongst us will be forced to comply or move onto somthing else.

Cheers taz.

timh1970
22-10-2006, 10:23 PM
I have never been asked to provide registration, certification or any other guarantee that I know what I am doing.

Not because I'm cheap either, I will not work for nothing but it seems that most people/companies take it for granted that I am certified. Either that, they don't care, or they wouldn't know what a certificate looked like anyway so there is no point in asking.

The only problem that I have with certification is that it creates a sort of closed shop agreement and the costs of subscription to such as NIC is prohibitive to many newcomers.

Even myself, whenever I have employed a contractor to work on my own home, I have taken word of mouth recommendations over certification and will continue to do so.