PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

taz24
21-10-2006, 04:38 PM
How did you get started in the industry.
Was it your first choice or was it by accident.

Cheers taz.

Dan
21-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Accident. I answered a blind ad for a technical writer. The company was Hussmann.

taz24
21-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Accident. I answered a blind ad for a technical writer. The company was Hussmann.

Are you still with Hussmann.
I worked for them back in the late eighties.
I actualy organised an engineer swap with one of your branches in the mid states. It was greatly recieved but the powers to be that were in charge finaly poo poo'ed it for what ever reason.

Cheers taz.:)

johnyfreon
21-10-2006, 06:33 PM
after graduating from high school took a 2 years industrial mechanics program and went to work for my father as a industrial maintenance mechanic in a steel mill, then took another two years program of HVAC and went to work for a commercial service company in New Jersey, worked there for 8 years and now I'm back doing inhouse industrial maintenance and refrigeration for the past five years in Rochester New York.

Dan
21-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Are you still with Hussmann.
I worked for them back in the late eighties.
I actualy organised an engineer swap with one of your branches in the mid states. It was greatly recieved but the powers to be that were in charge finaly poo poo'ed it for what ever reason.

I started in Bridgeton, Mo. in the 70's. Probably knew the fellow you were trying to work a swap with. Worked in the Engineering Dept, Application Engineering, wrote the manuals, became a trainer in Institute, moved to Florida as a regional engineer, then sales, then installation and service, then IR bought Hussmann and it went to hell in a hand basket. I am now a 1/3 owner of a company composed of many Hussmann refugees.

taz24
21-10-2006, 07:19 PM
then IR bought Hussmann and it went to hell in a hand basket. I am now a 1/3 owner of a company composed of many Hussmann refugees.

I left before IR so was saved from that:D. My pension has transfered to them though so I hope they still make a profit ;)

All the best with the new venture though.
Cheers taz.

old gas bottle
22-10-2006, 01:00 PM
my old man had prescold in to his shop to mend the 3/4 vision counter, i did not know what i wanted to do so he made my mind up for me and got me a job there in 1971 [ouch]

taz24
22-10-2006, 03:53 PM
my old man had prescold in to his shop to mend the 3/4 vision counter, i did not know what i wanted to do so he made my mind up for me and got me a job there in 1971 [ouch]

I started because my dad had set up a buisness with his partner. From the age of about 12 I knew I was to be a fridge man. My dad was ex Prescold. Prescold have a lot to answer for eh;)

Cheers taz.

monkey spanners
23-10-2006, 10:05 PM
My Dad used to work for Kennets in thatcham and i used to go out with him on standby and school holidays etc(aged about 6) which got me hooked. What other job can you be working on 1/12hp system one day and a pack with four 40hp compressors the next?
When your bored of pipework along comes an electical problem to sort out. Theres always something to keep you interested.

Cheers Jon

Temprite
26-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Accident.

Sat an aptitude test for a building services company, there was 4 apprentice positions available.

Plumber.
Electrician.
Carpenter.
Refrigeration Mechanic.

Wasn't sure what job I wanted, so wrote the 4 positions on a blank sheet of paper, closed my eyes, pointed and chose the one that my finger landed closest to.

I know that sounds like bull**** but it is actually true.

bill1983
10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
i was originally going to train to be a lumberjack but the course was cancelled 2 weeks before it was due to start. i then went to work in a fibre glass laboratory testing etc. i knew i didn't want to do that all my life or even for the next 6 months so i applied for every apprenticeship that involved travel, not working in the same place each day and involved a trade that could take me anywhere. i fell into refrigeration 3 weeks later 25 years on and believe it or not i have never looked back.