PDA

View Full Version : My first post ! please help

blazerfrazer
15-10-2006, 03:04 PM
First of all hi to everybody and its great to be a part of this forum, I need help with a simple issue but have been struggling with the search to find what I need. I have a budget split 1800 btu air con unit / heater which I purchased from eBay and installed with no problems, it works great. now I have decided to remove it a put it in a different location. I spoke the bloke that sold it to me about how to gas it down but it sounded like he wasn't as experienced as you lot. The first time I spoke to him he said switch it to cold then close the small valve on the side and keep it running until it starts making nasty glugging sounds, then close the bottom ( larger valve ) the next time I spoke to him a few weeks later just before I decided to go ahead he said the same but don't wait till it starts gurgling, just time 3 minutes. The problem I have is I want to have the best chance of reusing the system with out having to call an engineer to re gas it for me. the bloke said I should get away with it if I am careful. can somebody please explain how I am to do it with a little more accuracy. the gas inside is r 407c 2000g. when it is done, I assume I will hear hissing when I open the pipes, is this gas still coming out or will it be air going in to meet a vacuum.

Argus
15-10-2006, 03:37 PM
You are strongly urged not to atempt any work of this kind yourself if you don't feel confident in your level of knowledge or you lack the equipmemnt to do it.

You are likely to cause more damage and cost than you will save.

Hire a professional to do it properly.

taz24
15-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I assume I will hear hissing when I open the pipes, is this gas still coming out or will it be air going in to meet a vacuum.

How did you put it in, in the first place. If you did it yourself and did not pressure test or vac the system of all air and moisture then you have already got contaminates in the system.
If you repeat the process then you will just compound the fault. I would recomend hireing someone to do the work you want doing. There are also rules and regulations that have to be followed when doing this type of work.

Cheers taz

blazerfrazer
15-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Hi all, come on, give me some help, I am an electrician by trade and very competent with many things especially electrical and mechanical, the unit I purchased from eBay is a DIY type unit, DIY for competent type people. I followed the guide lines in the instructions and have had no problems or leaks. I have fitted 4 now and find as long as I am careful and use my initiative, there is no problems. the instructions tell you to allow 5 seconds of gas from the unit into the pipe work and then check for leaks with soapy water, once everything checks out, bleed to atmosphere the air in the pipes for 5 seconds then close the bleed and allow the rest of the gas to flow into the system. I have purchased an expensive flaring tool which I have had plenty of practise runs before actually doing it to any pipes and I use a slight coating of oil on the tool beforehand. I appreciate there is a whole lot more to air con than this as I have been reading all about the rules, waste, control etc here on the forum. I know also that the majority of work done on this type of equipment is done by professionals but I think I have the ability to follow the instructions and use common sense. all I would like to know is a little more info on moving this thing. the bloke says its a piece of cake but as you can see by the way I am seeking information, I like to have as much knowledge before just going straight into these things...
any help would be greatly appreciated. the units are on eBay.co.uk go to eBay UK and put in "Air Conditioning 18000" you will see the TLC units which is what I have, I did try to post the link but I have to of had 15 or more posts before I can do so.

Andy
15-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi , bleed to atmosphere the air in the pipes for 5 seconds then close the bleed and allow the rest of the gas to flow into the system.

Blazerfrazer:)

you should be vacumning the lines out, and using oxygen free nitrogen to pressure test not gas.
What you are doing is both illegal and dangerous.

Take a look around Refrigeration Engineer, there is loads of quotes on this subject:)

Kind Regards Andy:)

blazerfrazer
15-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Andy, I am done with air con units now as I have all I need, this is what the instructions tell you to do, it does work but I agree it is wrong and illegal, I wont be doing any more as I respect the environment. we need to get these units banned because all sorts of people are buying them up. there is 7 different brands I know of that boast DIY installation. once I have 15 posts I will up load the instructions for you all so see how crude it is..

frank
16-10-2006, 07:22 PM
With the unit being on R407C and the pipes not being correctly evacuated during the initial install 2 things come to mind.

1) The system probably now has a percentage of acid circulating due to the moisture content of the installed pipework.

2) The initial charge of 2kg is somewhat depleted due to the first purging and will be substantially short after the second purging.

Conclusion: expected lifetime of the unit is currently less now than if a pro had installed it and will be seriously shortened if it is moved by the original installer.

blazerfrazer
16-10-2006, 09:32 PM
As you said " The system probably now has a percentage of acid circulating due to the moisture content of the installed pipework. "

I agree, however it works 100% and I am more than happy with my £200 bargain, new from eBay.
They make these units DIY so as I am a 'DIY er' I have no Vac pump.

" The initial charge of 2kg is somewhat depleted due to the first purging and will be substantially short after the second purging"
I agree again, but there is enough for a second go, I have just successfully installed it for a second time and the temperature of the air is the same as before there abouts. if it goes wrong I will either call an expert like your selves or purchase another unit.. simple. sorry you have just found out about the DIY units and I agree that it should be left to experts, however, I now have a working heat pump in my work shop rather than a 3000w electric fan heater running, sorry if this has rubbed some of you up the wrong way, it was never intended that way. I intend just to sit back and read all the information on this forum as I find it most educational in interesting.

mick2me
20-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Woa!

This kinda thing is gonna get eB*yers a bad name:eek:

Get yerself a good man with a pump:p

And yer shouldv bought a Daikin :confused:

And a Sparky too, shud ave known better:rolleyes: