PDA

View Full Version : For Book Lovers

winfred.dela
14-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Book Lovers always have collection of books that are waiting to be read & re read.
Per Anthony Trollope:
"The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fades."

I always share my books with friends. Some of my friends suggest titles & also give books as present.

Today, as am taking a look at my 500+ pcs collection of novels & books, i made a list of five titles i want my friends to have:

(1) Lao Tzu - Tao Te Ching by Ursula K. Le Guin
(2) The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
(3) The Art of War - Sun Tzu by James Clavell
(4) Simplicity by Bill Jensen
(5) Die Broke by Stephen M. Pollan & Mark Levine

I have enjoyed reading & re reading above books especially DIE BROKE that is a radical 4 Part Financial Plan that is very helpful for today's very trying times.

As technical persons we need to read books that will at least balance our life. I hope some members would suggest titles that are not technical in nature.

Regards & Happy Reading . . . :)

Andy P
14-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Winfed - I like your style!

I recently read the autobiography of Jonah Lomu - very moving and inspirational. Incredible to think that he was never fully fit (!) when playing for the All Blacks.

My favourite book of all time and any type is "Zany Afternoons" by Canadian cartoonist Bruce McCall. The man is a genius!:D

cheers
Andy P

US Iceman
14-10-2006, 06:26 PM

Those are three books everyone should read. Over and over. Sometimes extremely subtle, others very blunt.

Thanks for sharing from your list. I will have to look up the other two.

I'll add one from my library...

The Turning Point by Fritjof Capra

Abe
14-10-2006, 09:06 PM
My favourite book of all time is ,

The Caine Mutiny

winfred.dela
15-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I recently read the autobiography of Jonah Lomu . . .

My favourite book of all time and any type is "Zany Afternoons" by Canadian cartoonist Bruce McCall . . . .

It was suggested that we have to read at least one autobiography a year. My favorites are:

(1) Armand Hammer's Witness to History
(2) John Sculley's Odyssey - Pepsi to Apple
(3) Thomas Watson's, Jr.'s Father, Son & Co. - My Life at IBM & Beyond

Thanks Andy, I will try to find the Jonah Lomu & Zany Afternoons. :)

Regards,
Winfredy

Andy P
15-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Dear Winfred

I looked up "Simplicity" on Amazon - the first reviewer said "The weakness of this book is that it is a tough read for a book on simplicity and simple communications. " What do you think?

Another favourite author is the Italian chemist Primo Levi - look for his almost autobiographical books "The Periodic Table" and "The Wrench" - good reading for engineers!

cheers
Andy P

winfred.dela
15-10-2006, 10:26 PM
I looked up "Simplicity" on Amazon - the first reviewer said "The weakness of this book is that it is a tough read for a book on simplicity and simple communications. " What do you think?

For me its also a tough read.
I always thought it's because English is a second language.
A British friend once told me that reading English for me will not be the same with him.
I read English, mentally convert it to Filipino before understanding it.

Reading Simplicity is almosts same with the first three classic:
By re reading, one will will discover new ways & understand more. :)

- if may i add, the book is helpful if we want to work smarter in this new fast faced world of infinite choices. :)

winfred.dela
15-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Abe:
My favourite book of all time is ,

The Caine Mutiny

A very good one from Herman Wouk.
I always enjoy reading & re reading novels from bestseller writers:
James Michener, Herman Wouk, James Clavell, Arthur Hailey.
Will miss some of them though. . .

US Ice Man:
I'll add one from my library...

The Turning Point by Fritjof Capra

Andy:
Another favourite author is the Italian chemist Primo Levi - look for his almost autobiographical books

"The Periodic Table" and "The Wrench"

Thanks US Iceman, Thanks Andy. :)

US Iceman
15-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Here are a couple more that I'm sure you will find interesting...

Tesla - Man Out of Time by Margaret Cheney

Prodigal Genius - The Life of Nikola Tesla by John J. O'Neill

I usually try to pick up anything I can find on this gentleman. He was quite the prolific inventor and his trials show extraordinary vision, success, and failure.

He has not received his due, where it seems Thomas Edison got more than his share.

Any one care to guess who developed AC current?

Lc_shi
16-10-2006, 02:14 AM
Book Lovers always have collection of books that are waiting to be read & re read.
Per Anthony Trollope:
"The habit of reading is the only enjoyment in which there is no alloy; it lasts when all other pleasures fades."

I always share my books with friends. Some of my friends suggest titles & also give books as present.

Today, as am taking a look at my 500+ pcs collection of novels & books, i made a list of five titles i want my friends to have:

(4) Simplicity by Bill Jensen
(5) Die Broke by Stephen M. Pollan & Mark Levine

I have enjoyed reading & re reading above books especially DIE BROKE that is a radical 4 Part Financial Plan that is very helpful for today's very trying times.

As technical persons we need to read books that will at least balance our life. I hope some members would suggest titles that are not technical in nature.

Regards & Happy Reading . . . :)

HI dear sir
I'm glad you list two book by Chinese-LaoTsu&SunTsu.Oriental and Western culture's exchange is very great for both side. I read some articles and books in my english learning which give me great influence. Russell's philosiphy essays impressed me very much. Now I seldom read western book for it's not easy to get original book ,i don't like to read translated ones. Of course, many news and some magazines in english is easy accessed by internet but it's not worthy of reading carefully for it's no meaning:p

regards
LC

winfred.dela
16-10-2006, 04:04 AM
. . .
Now I seldom read western book for it's not easy to get original book ,i don't like to read translated ones.

Of course, many news and some magazines in english is easy accessed by internet but it's not worthy of reading carefully for it's no meaning:p

It's good thing that in the past 5 years there are a lot of cheap second hand books from Australia & U.S.A. Even hard bound books can be bought at USD2.00 to USD 4.00

Around half of my collections are from second hand, most of which still looks brand new.

I hope these second hand books will also be accessible to you.

Regarding news & magazines, i devote only around 30 minutes a day. It's only for info purposes. . . :)

Handyman-1
29-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Hi everybody, am new to the RE community.

Nice 2 books by Og Mandino, Greatest Salesman in the World I & II.

The Book by Hal Urban, Life's Greatest Lessons-20 Things that Matter is also a good one especially to those that wanted to impart something to their Kids. ;)

winfred.dela
15-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Nice 2 books by Og Mandino, Greatest Salesman in the World I & II.

The Book by Hal Urban, Life's Greatest Lessons-20 Things that Matter is also a good one especially to those that wanted to impart something to their Kids. ;)

Yes, really nice books from Og Mandino.
Have also received the Hal Urban book from a friend who arrived from US. Also, a good one.

My latest great find from a second hand bookstore: TECHNOTRENDS by Daniel Burrus with Roger Gittines.

If too busy to read the whole book, may just read the appendix:
(A) 20 core technologies
(B) 20 core technologies & their relationship to 24 new tools
(C) 24 new cards in the game
(D) The Shifting Focus
(E) 30 new rules
(F) 9 revolutions the new tools will create

HAPPY READINGS. . . .

. . . :)

andrew lennon
16-01-2007, 08:23 PM
all those are rubbish you cant beat THE BROONS books mate good Scottish humour

winfred.dela
17-01-2007, 12:57 AM
all those are rubbish you cant beat THE BROONS books mate good Scottish humour

Of course, we also need to read a book like THE BROONS.
It was just my opinion to read as much variable topic as possible to balance our Technical Books.

. . . :)

Samarjit Sen
17-01-2007, 05:05 PM
I used to read a lot of books and had a very big collection of the same. Over the years some how this habit wore off, and I got to reading technical books on refrigeration. Now after going through this thread I am getting interested again to renew my old hobby of reading non technical books. But the priority shall always be the refrigeration books as I love this field too much.

Thanks Fred.

micha1
28-02-2007, 10:47 PM
You guys shame me! I prefer the likes of Pratchett and Sharp.
Sorry?