PDA

View Full Version : Friday the 13th

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Anyone up for some trivia?

Where did the history of Friday 13th being an unlucky day originate?

Tycho
13-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Now that is a short question with a potential very long answer :)

I'll follow up with another question:

Have you ever had bad luck on friday the 13th?

Me, nope... not that I can remember :)
I like to say that I'm not superstitious, but I still consider my actions a little closer on friday the 13th :)

nh3wizard
13-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Hers a wild guess, last supper on Friday with 13 apostles

rbartlett
13-10-2006, 06:09 PM
my understanding was the masacare of the templars

Friday the 13th

Jacques Demolay and the Knights Templar

Both the number 13 and the day of the week Friday have had varied "reputations" throughout the centuries - sometimes considered to be holy and at other times considered to be unholy. In the Western world, the superstition linking Friday the 13th with being unlucky is primarily associated with the final Grand Master of the Knights Templar, Jacques Demolay, and the date of Friday, October the 13th, 1307 AD (Old Style - OS)

cheers

richard

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 08:43 PM
my understanding was the masacare of the templars

That is mine also. Apparently the king of France and another notable religious leader in 1307 decided the Knights Templar were getting too rich and plotted their downfall.

Many of the Templars were arrested on site and condemmed to prison/torture and all other sorts of questionable investigations.

As a result, those that escaped went into hiding.

According to what I have read, the King of France owed them a lot of money and did not want to repay his debts so he found a way to simply eliminate them.

Friday 13th in 1307 was the day the prosecution began. Next year is the 700th anniversary of this event.

The grandmaster was the last to be publicly executed by buring at the stake. He cursed the King of France and the religous leader who were both in attendance. Within several years they both died.;)

winfred.dela
14-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi US Iceman

Thanks, Nice piece of history here. :)

Regards