PDA

View Full Version : Funeral Types

frank
10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Did anyone read the artical in the Daily Mail today about the new type of funeral being tried out?

It was invented in Sweden and consists of the body being frozen with liquid nitrogen to -196C then vibrated until the body turns to dust :eek:

Its not legal yet in the UK as only cremation and burial are the options but it is hoped that the technology will be adopted.

Thoughts? - would you opt for it?

nh3wizard
10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Im all for it!!! Alot of good property going to waste.

chillin out
10-10-2006, 09:03 PM
It was invented in Sweden and consists of the body being frozen with liquid nitrogen to -196C then vibrated until the body turns to dust
What happens when the 'dust' melts??????

You go to scatter the ashes of a loved one and when you open the jar you have to spoon him/her out because the 'ash' has melted into a sludge!!!!

And the smell.....wow

Chillin:) :)

chemi-cool
10-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Frank,

Any health problems?;)

Chemi:)

Brian_UK
10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
No Chillin, the plan is that the 'remains' are then put into a biodegradable box and buried.

Fully decomposed in about 6 -8 months if I remember.

US Iceman
10-10-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm all for it as long as they can get a good DNA sample to make my clone. I still have a lot of things I want to do yet.:D

Andy P
11-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Its not legal yet in the UK as only cremation and burial are the options but it is hoped that the technology will be adopted.

According to Monty Python there are three options: burning, burying or dumping in the Thames. Burning has the advantage of being quick, but is "a bit of a shock if you're not quite dead" - I guess the same would be true for LN2

cheers
Andy P

frank
11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I think I'm going for the " in the Vat" type myself. One where the beer is only half filling the vat so I can't reach the top to pull myself out :D

US Iceman
12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Frank,

Would that be considered "pickled"?;)

frank
12-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Frank,

Would that be considered "pickled"?;)

Pi**ed and departed might be more fitting :D

winfred.dela
13-10-2006, 12:21 AM
It was invented in Sweden and consists of the body being frozen with liquid nitrogen to -196C then vibrated until the body turns to dust :eek:
Thoughts? - would you opt for it?

My thoughts: It's again a new and huge opportunity.

Now, we have to learn more on cryogenics, stirling cycle, nitrogen generator, helium to be able to produce & supply liquid nitrogen. :)

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 02:14 AM
At least we don't have to worry about getting freezer burn due to long term or improper storage techniques!

Brian_UK
13-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Makes you stop and think about cryogenic storage doesn't it?

There you are, believing this crap that you can be stored in a frozen state until 'they find a cure' for whatever it may be.;)

So, you've been frozen, stuck into some storage chamber or other and you await your fate.

Along comes the night cleaner with his commercial vacuum cleaner and floor polisher combined. This thing consumes about 30amps and it's all he(she) can do to hold onto it. :(

As he gets close to your storage chamber he loses control and this great whirring and vibrating machine comes straight towards you. :eek: :eek:

Stuck between your chamber and the wall this 7kW machine generates harmonics at 50Hz and your remains quietly turn to snowflakes inside the chamber.:( ;) Ooopps :p

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 11:46 PM
...your remains quietly turn to snowflakes inside the chamber.

Perhaps we should just a leave a note on the outside of our canister asking someone to add some water and reconstitute us!

Dan
14-10-2006, 12:10 AM
That's an odd one, Frank. Praytell, what are the selling points compared to cremation? Kyoto treaty?

frank
14-10-2006, 12:46 PM
That's an odd one, Frank. Praytell, what are the selling points compared to cremation? Kyoto treaty?

Apparently the news article claimed that it was better for the environment as you do not need large anounts af fossil fuels as in cremation, or lots of land space as in burial. Quicker & Cleaner must be the phrase to use :D

I do like Brian's musings on the subject :)
I can just see the little old cleaner now, struggling with the floor polisher :eek: :D

jamcool
14-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Shaken not stured:) Technology is a hell of a thing. I can see it catching on in the west:)

Brian_UK
14-10-2006, 06:31 PM
That's an odd one, Frank. Praytell, what are the selling points compared to cremation? Kyoto treaty?I think one of the things about it Dan is that it is easier and cleaner to recover metals etc.

At the moment all crematoriums need expensive flue scrubbers to remove mecury discharges and the like from tooth fillings for example.

Tony Weston
16-10-2006, 08:08 PM
I think I'll stick with the cremation, then my ashes can be put in little pepper bags, and disspensed around the McDonald outlets,to get my own back on all the crap burgers they have given me over the years !!:eek: