PDA

View Full Version : Anti virus software

US Iceman
10-10-2006, 03:47 AM
I'm curious what types of anti-virus software everyone is using. If there are some brands I have not listed, please tell us what you use and the results you have had.

Thanks.

Josip
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi, US Iceman :)

I'm curious what types of anti-virus software everyone is using. If there are some brands I have not listed, please tell us what you use and the results you have had.

Thanks.

My son is IT eng and he decided to install NOD32 (couple of years ago), until now no problems with viruses at all. It is not free but worth more than paid.;)

Have also:

www.winpatrol.com
www.lavasoft.com

Best regards, Josip :)

Argus
10-10-2006, 09:08 AM

I use Norton on all my computers - it's easy, reliable and available.
I also have webroot anti spyware as an extra precaution.

I'm regularly getting clobbered by attempts on my computers - it's a fact of life these days, so whatever the system, the most important aspect is their speed of response to new threats and availability of the various fixes.

It reminds me of when they were touting Newquay in Cornwall as England's answer to Hawaii as a surfing centre some years ago.
A local raw sewage outfall meant they were all surfing in a sea of floating krud when the tide changed.
Did they stop surfing? No.
A lot of folk went down with Ghadafi's revenge and the rest acquired better rubber suits and carried on as normal.

chillin out
10-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000 for my firewall protection, it also does spyware and can do a virus scan as well.

For my virus protection I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0, this makes sure nothing gets onto my pc and nothing can run without my say so.

Running these 2 apps keep my pc clean and running like a dream, I have never had a problem with a virus or spyware.

I also run Ad-Aware se pro every now and then.

Chillin:) :)

chemi-cool
10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I use Kaspersky.

Chemi:)

slingblade
11-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Norton is good, coupled with adaware se. Biggest problem i find is that with 180 gig HD the more i download films ect and fill it up the longer the scan takes. nearly 3/4 of an hour last time for norton and my pc is QUICK.

chillin out
12-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Norton is good, coupled with adaware se. Biggest problem i find is that with 180 gig HD the more i download films ect and fill it up the longer the scan takes. nearly 3/4 of an hour last time for norton and my pc is QUICK.
LOL... thats a laugh, Even on a really really fast pc Norton will slow it down. The program takes up far too many resources and drags the pc down, even when it's not doing a scan.

NH3LVR
12-10-2006, 03:50 AM
I have 7 PCs. I have had very little trouble with Viruses, Trojans, or Worms.
Norton is a resource hog, and can be difficult to install/uninstall. It also gives a lot of false positives as well s being expensive and not supported for long after the new versions come out.
Mcaffe is about the same in my brief experience with it.
I am now using AVG Free. I have read it is not as effective as others but do not often run into anything anyway.
I have heard good thing about Avast free edition, but have not tried it.
In addition I use Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot free editions. Spybot is not as stable as AdAware, but works well. Whatever one does not catch the other does.
I also run ZoneAlarm free Firewall.

Josip
12-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi, Slingblade :)

Try NOD32, it is very fast...

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Hi Josip,

I was looking at the NOD32 US website. This looks like a good program. How long have you been using this?

Since you son is an IT person, he may know something we do not.:cool:

jinxycat
13-10-2006, 07:03 AM
i am using,
1. anti vir, seems very good, better than avg( in my opinion)
2. ad ware se
3.zone alarm fire wall
all free versions

knighty
13-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm a geek.....

but I dont have any anit-virus, anti-spyware etc...

router has a built in fire wall which is 100 times better than anything you can install yourself (hardware firewall is always better than software)

other than that... no protection, I'm just carefull :)

....then again, I guess it's easier for me because I can fix it if it goes wrong :o

Josip
13-10-2006, 08:12 PM

Hi Josip,

I was looking at the NOD32 US website. This looks like a good program. How long have you been using this?

Since you son is an IT person, he may know something we do not.:cool:

We have been using this program for about 4-5 years. There is no special knowledge about;)
The main reason is scaning in real time, not use to much system resources and high speed.
Til today no problem regarding viruses, spyware, adware..I'm very satisfied.

US Iceman
13-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Josip,

Thanks for the feedback. I have used Norton but became unhappy with some of the problems I have experienced with it.

Currently, I'm using Zone Alarm and it seems to be doing a good job, but it is kind of slow and uses what seems to be too many resources.

This is the reason I asked everyone what they are using. I'm trying to find the different programs that people are using and have good luck with.

Thanks very much to everyone who has replied so far.

knighty
14-10-2006, 12:05 AM
NOD32 has a hell of a good reputation, all the top businesses use (for there servers etc...) because it's updated against new viruses etc.. so quickly

Toosh
21-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi I use AVG and now they have bought Edwido which got to rid my computer of a mallicious adware and am very happy with them when you buy Edwido I think you get the full AVG version which is included.

Regards Toosh

taz24
21-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Do you rate the AVG freeware or do you use the purchased full package.

Cheers taz.

ernestlin
25-10-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm using "Rising", it's a cheap & good chinese antivirus software.

lana
30-10-2006, 06:26 AM
Hi everybody,

As some of you recommended I tried to download Zone Alarm Firewall (Free) but I can't. When I click Download , it opens my desktop window and stops!

Can anybody help e ...

Cheers:(

NH3LVR
30-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Lana
This seems strange. I use Zone Alarm on all my machines and have had no problem.
I assume you are download and save to a folder rather than tring to run.
Perhaps if you give us a few more details.
Which operating sytem are you running? Windows? 2000 or XP? Are you using Internet Explorer or Firefox?
If my knowledge in not up to the task I am sure someone else can here can.
Anything else you can tell us about your machine would be of help.
John B

frank
31-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Try this link http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en

lana
02-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot. I downloaded it and I think it is good.
I had a problem with download accelerator.

Cheers

RickSter
10-11-2006, 11:39 PM
I have tried all those other Antivirus programs in search for the best one.
I have found Nod32 to be the best and least resource taker. The interface is not that pretty but it isn't there for the looks.

Rick

pabs_ref
20-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I use to have PCcillin in my PC, then tried AVG...
Now it's AntiVir.... it's okey for me... with Adaware SE
& Spyware Blaster...

pabs

Jez
30-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Computer Associates anti-virus with Zone Alarm Pro firewall being used here.

Larry227
21-12-2006, 04:37 AM
I know this is kind of an old poll but I just found this site.
I'll throw my vote in for Nod32. Been using it for about three years now and I like it a lot. Small footprint, daily updates, fast and I haven't had any troubles at all with it. If I had to run a different one I would have to go with Panda. I like Panda almost as much as Nod32.

US Iceman
21-12-2006, 05:40 AM
I have recently switched to NOD32 after Josip mentioned it and found it to be just as recommended. Very fast and low overhead.

I'm glad I switched.

Now if they will only come out with a firewall and system maintenance tools just as good as their antivirus software.:cool: Now that would be cool!

RickSter
10-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Was using Nod32 for a long time as it was light on system resources but now I use Kaspersky as I have found it to be a lot more thorough in finding stuff even in your system restore files.:eek:

chillin out
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi RickSter, how do you find the speed of your system after changing to Kaspersky ?
And the boot up time?

nh3simman
21-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm curious what types of anti-virus software everyone is using.

I used to use Norton, mainly because I learned from Peter in the good old days of DOS. I got the feeling that the NAV is much to bloated and drags your whole system down.

About 5 years ago, I got rid of NAV and decided that I would keep good backups and check for viruses myself.

Lately, I have decided to use AVG because I now have a network with ADSL and a son who wants to explore.

I still think there is no substitute for good backup.

coztemur
21-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I used the most of others.
NOD32 IS THE BEST
no doubt

giovanni
21-03-2007, 11:36 PM
My son just told me about a a site that sells antivirus software for commerical computer use and offers free anti-virus software for private home use. There is also a file if you believe that you have a virus already and it will clean it out for you. Both files are free to use and update with a simple registration.
The site is WWW.AVAST.COM (http://www.AVAST.COM)
He says it is as good as NAV and not as resource intensive. I just DL'd so I cant give my opinion yet but I'll keep you posted

marc5180
15-05-2007, 05:07 PM
i also use Norton but the lag it gives to my computer is huge and as others have said its very difficult to uninstall you have to manually go to the registry and delete which is very dangerous if you dont know what you are doing

giovanni
16-05-2007, 02:24 AM
The avast software I mentioned earlier if pretty good. It found a couple of viruses that Norton didnot; specifically 2 in the windows restore files. All that needs to be done is a simple registration yearly and the home version is free to use and updates easily. the site is www.avast.com (http://www.avast.com)

NH3LVR
20-05-2007, 06:05 AM
I recently had a problem with Trends PCcillin Internet Security Suite. I installed it on my laptop and it booted slow, as well as worked at a crawl. I had removed Norton because the updates were way overpriced.
I purchased PCcillin with a three station license at a very resonable price.
When I intially installed PCcillin it took me three attempts.
I discovered a update to cure the problem. It seems if you had ever installed Spybot it would cause this problem. However I had to remove the existing installation to install the update.
However the update failed to install as well. It then wanted me to reinstall the oriuginall program. Since I did not want to start this mess all over again, I installed the free versions of AVG and Zone Alarm.
I have used the Avast as well and although I did not care for the interface it seemed to perform well as to speed.

airconadam
20-05-2007, 07:26 PM
i use avg and ad aware se both free and updates of them all the time ther great never had any problems and they scan your emails and website before you go on them would recommend them to any one thanks alot adam

mag
28-05-2007, 03:03 PM

My son is IT eng and he decided to install NOD32 (couple of years ago), until now no problems with viruses at all. It is not free but worth more than paid.;)

My friends business uses NOD32 on their work P.Cs;)

Eng Student
08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I just use what work gave me. And I think you can download it for free on the net now.

nike123
19-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Nod 32 Anti virus
Zone alarm Firewall
Spyboot and Destroy for pests
Mozilla Firefox browser
E-mail by Yahoo service

No virus and any type of pest and virus problem since year 2003!:cool:

nike123
19-12-2007, 09:28 PM
You mix some antivirus and non-antivirus ( firewall and other) programs in your pool.

tjiang_s
23-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I have tried many antivirus and the best for now are karspersky and avast anti virus

Giannis
23-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I use Kaspersky,

Very good and easy to use.. and also i like this russian name :P

Pooh
24-12-2007, 12:46 AM
I do not bother, I find they slow my machine down to the machine to the extreme.I back up weekly and am very carefull which sites and emails I open.

Ian

Mark
24-12-2007, 06:49 PM
I was using Norton AV for the last year.I now use AVG free edition and my pc is running alot faster!!!

Grizzly
28-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I agree with Mark.
I have used the free version of AVG ANTI VIRUS.
The computer magazine that I have subscribed to for the last five years Computeractive. Did a comparison / test survey and came to the conclusion.
All Anti Virus Software has issues and none are infaluable but at least AVG. Is free!
Incidently they have a brilliant little program called Mailwasher on their website. Which allows you to view all emails before they are opened. More importantly you can bounce the email back as if it's a redundant address.
Check it out.
Grizzly

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2128814/mailwasher

Samarjit Sen
28-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I have been using the free version of AVG till recently, when I found that there are some problems with it. Now I have installed Norton in all my office and personal computers and fortunately they are working till now.

chris96
30-12-2007, 12:29 AM
I use an Apple Mac, virus's are written for the Windows operating systems, therefore do not affect the osx operating system. I have opened many corrupt files and i just delete them.
Also, now I have Windows on my Mac, but i only boot it up when i need to, ie when i have a Windows only program, but saying that most programs are now released on osx also.

Chris

absolute-zero
06-01-2008, 05:58 AM
I have had good luck with Norton and have just recently updated it to Norton 360.

I have used Spybot S&D free versions and that seemed pretty good as to keeping my registry in good shape, but not all that good to keep viruses from getting in the first place.

I hear many peiople swear by it but for me, its Norton antivirus 360 all the way. as it has proven to work very effectively.:D

A-Z

Magoo
19-01-2008, 03:45 AM
www.avg.com (http://www.avg.com) only no problems since, and up-dates daily.
Had norton, continual problems after each up-date, and having paid for privilage.

magoo

paul_h
19-01-2008, 02:29 PM
AV software depends on what you what.
Do you want something that runs continously consuming resourses and checking every file you access constantly?
Or do you want a simple small program you can use just to check new downloaded files manually before opening, and maybe run a full scan once a week?

I use to run AVG and avast, but I didn't need that level of obtrusiveness and memory stolen from me, as I didn't seem to get any viruses anyway. I didn't need every program checked on schedule or every email checked.

Now I just use clamwin, it's a manual scanner that doesn't protect you automatically, so it doesn't hog you PC memory. You just manually right-click and scan any downloads or attachments before opening and if you know what you're doing, that, a good firewall, good malware scanners and good PC usage is enough.
You don't have to pay continually for a product or updates (clam win is free and has free updates), and you don't need some resource hogging bloatware always running on your PC.
I recommend avast if you want something fully automatic and have a decent spec PC though, small enough and funtional enough.

absolute-zero
21-01-2008, 08:02 PM
AV software depends on what you what.
Do you want something that runs continously consuming resourses and checking every file you access constantly?
Or do you want a simple small program you can use just to check new downloaded files manually before opening, and maybe run a full scan once a week?

I use to run AVG and avast, but I didn't need that level of obtrusiveness and memory stolen from me, as I didn't seem to get any viruses anyway. I didn't need every program checked on schedule or every email checked.

Now I just use clamwin, it's a manual scanner that doesn't protect you automatically, so it doesn't hog you PC memory. You just manually right-click and scan any downloads or attachments before opening and if you know what you're doing, that, a good firewall, good malware scanners and good PC usage is enough.
You don't have to pay continually for a product or updates (clam win is free and has free updates), and you don't need some resource hogging bloatware always running on your PC.
I recommend avast if you want something fully automatic and have a decent spec PC though, small enough and funtional enough.

It sounds like good AV softwaqre for you if you are the only user of the PC,

In my situation many house hold members use my PC and will not know how to manually run the AV manually or will be to lazy.

I think for PC's that are used by other users need auto protection, especially in my application and situation, otherwise i may be doing system the dreaded system recoveries every 3 months.

Regards A-Z

malcoa
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
NOD 32 for me, tried a few and they seem to slow the system down, this one you install, set it up for scanning and forget about it

marc5180
12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
NOD 32 for me, tried a few and they seem to slow the system down, this one you install, set it up for scanning and forget about it
I agree with malcoa Nod 32 for me also. I've tried them all kaspersky, norton, mcafee and i've got to Nod32 is the best as far as im concerned.

fassi
16-04-2008, 05:08 AM

Thanks.

I have used F-Prot from Frisk Software International, Iceland since 2004.

martinw58
17-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Avast Home Edition Its Free And Updates Every Day

imci
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0 now available for download.
You can use this edition to protect your computer from virus.Many people have downloaded this free edition version
here is link free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

GXMPLX
05-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks.

Though at home I have Window Live OneCare I think the best one is NOD32 from www.eset.com (http://www.eset.com).

Norton crashed my computer several times and McAfee is slow besides don't detect viruses in .dbx (Outlook Express) files and this is anoying. It does detect them if you try to open an email with the virus but not if you scan the files.
Haven't tried the rest.

andywill
12-07-2008, 09:19 AM
I know this is an old thread but I read through it and just wondered how many of you have tested your firewall. If you haven't you could try this.

grc.com
I haven't made 15 posts so it won't let me insert a hyperlink
Click on shields up and choose the various options to see how hidden you really are when online.

deanH
16-07-2008, 08:14 PM
avg free edition with comodo firewall (also free)
excellent combo

round_the_rack
19-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Switched my desktop to linux last summer, so no longer need anti-virus there. Use Kaspersky suite on the laptop Haven't had a virus in years.

dougdotcom
02-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I use nod 32 it covers most viruses, and it keeps its self to its self, Just get the odd pop up telling me its updated. did i mention its free too :)

imci
02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
I used Kaspersky Anti Virusversion 2009.
You can get free 100 days by using their promotion

dan wong
09-11-2008, 05:49 AM
To my way of thinking; if I install several anti virus software if one doesn't catch the bug the other will. However, I was told that is not a good idea, it will slow down my system - which I beleived. I am also getting other conflicing advice - not sure if it is sound advice.

I would like to hear some of your opinions.

paul_h
09-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Only run one AV if it's a constant background running program. Even one of them chews up a lot of system resources. Right now I'm using avast as a constant running program for anti virus. But I have installed many anti spyware type scanners as they are manual scanners, not always running in memory, (superantispyware, spybot, antimalware and MS's own defender), and clamwin for antivirus as I have mentioned before.
So I scan every so often with those manual spyware/malware scanners, plus online anti virus scanners if I feel that my one full time running antivirus isn't doing the job.

rude
13-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Trend Internet Security seems to be pretty good

wilsonudevil
20-11-2008, 12:57 PM
There is quite a good guide here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/free-anti-virus-software

Gives details on free anti-virus and spyware programs.

HallsEngineer
13-01-2009, 12:47 PM
I am a nod32 user too

RefrigNoob
02-04-2009, 11:09 AM
NOD32 from www dot eset dot com

No reduction in performance.
No false positives.
Daily updates.
Very light on resources.
Nothing got through it yet.
I dare say I havn't seen it's equal.

wingman
27-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Switched my desktop to linux last summer, so no longer need anti-virus there. Use Kaspersky suite on the laptop Haven't had a virus in years.

Wise ... :) Very wise :) I use linux (ubuntu distribution)

And have a hardware firewall running (IPcop) Virus free since 2002 :D

Frikkie
23-08-2009, 12:12 AM
My son is a wizard at computers and he says AVG free (http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801) and Spybotsd (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/) for ativirus. He says use Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie) for internet and guaranteed no virus problems ever. (Also a free version.)

gesi
07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm a geek.....

but I dont have any anit-virus, anti-spyware etc...

router has a built in fire wall which is 100 times better than anything you can install yourself (hardware firewall is always better than software)

other than that... no protection, I'm just carefull :)

....then again, I guess it's easier for me because I can fix it if it goes wrong :o

I have the same solution.
But if I really need avir programms I use online scanners, like mks.com.pl.

Robearbam
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
I use several OS's for different reasons and found out that avast works good on 2Kpro, Mcaffee works good on XP and AVG is great on 7. No issues.

Clk320_Greg
10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
i started useing "bullguard" on a reccomendation from a friend in the know.

So far so good!

fila
04-01-2010, 08:28 AM
All of AV is good I think, as long as it up to date...

teguh
05-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Everybody know SMADAV antivirus?
It 's Indonesian product. I use it. so far is OK.
I think no antivirus ferfect to protect all virus attack.

tom.smart71
08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
i use Nod 32 from last two years, as its serial are readily available on torrentz .com and its uninstalling is also very eazy.. if u have any problem then u can uninstall.

Unlike norton its very difficult to unistall.

dave101
18-04-2010, 02:56 AM
I've voted for AVG but my real choice is Avast... wondering why its not included in the choice. For me it the best.

tbirdtbird
18-04-2010, 04:21 PM
For those techies out there you might want to check out this site, which is very trustworthy:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/
As far as virus scanners, I'm with Paul. The free versions of these have to be updated manually but they are very good:
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
I run these weekly.
For my real time scanner I use Webroot Spysweeper
http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products.html
get the 39.95 version, that is all you need. When you renew you can get the CD for another $5-6 but you don't need it. Although it is real-time, you should run a full scan weekly also, and it can be set to do that automatically if desired.
I'd also run Spybot as mentioned
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
These recommendations are from techie friends who do this for a living. You definitely need to run more than one scanner.
If you have your business and finances on a computer, I would highly advise that you never go on-line with that computer, instead use a separate computer for on-line activities.
You should also consider cleaning your machine weekly using this (but don't use the registry cleaner utility):
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Set it to automatically update, and clean before you scan, that way scanning will be faster.

syahidian
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
i use smadav, is the best antivirus for indonesian users
u can visit here smadav.net

GCAP CoolCast
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
AVG free
Malware Bytes
SuperAnti Spyware
and Microsoft Security Essentials

use all 4 concurrently, they work great together, nothing gets through and they are light on using system resources

arne22
23-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I have been using Avast, NOD32 and AVG free, the latest years, and I have quite meny pc's of different types. I can not say which is the best, for sure, but I have ended up using AVG free on all PC's. It does what it should, without any problems.

If I buy a new PC and it comes with Norton, I allways remove Norton and install AVG. (Because of the way the Norton slows down the PC.)

By the way, not much new or revolusionary. I thing my conclusions is much the same as in the tread above.

By the way, I was using paid NOD32 for a period, and I was very pleased with this solution.

SeanB
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Wise ... :) Very wise :) I use linux (ubuntu distribution)

And have a hardware firewall running (IPcop) Virus free since 2002 :D

Doing the same since around 2005, but still have ClamAV installed as well ( I might be supplying a file to a Windows box and it could be infected) and have not gotten many warnings, though I do like the site warnings you get from a Google search if the site is suspicious.