PDA

View Full Version : what do you do on your off time?

Tycho
07-10-2006, 06:58 AM
What do you do when you are not working?

give it up guys :)
I know we live and breath for refrigeration, why else would we be here :D but what do you do when you take of the refrigeration engineer hat?

Me?

I bought a house a few years ago, and have kept myself busy planning how I want it to look. This year I made a new outside entryway and tiled it, installed a panasonic 6KW heatpump/AC (my bedroom has sunlight from rise to set, last summer I averaged 35C in my bedroom), the AC took me maybe a week or two to get done, around two hours effective work time as all my neighbours came to take a look and discuss the pros and cons of getting one, and the pros and cons of every brand they had read about on the internet.

I took my sweet time with the entryway, making it juuuuuust right, getting it tiled up with some help from my uncle who had done it before, then it took me anoter month to get the grouting done (another three-four hours of effective work) :D

since then I've planned how I'll install spotlights all around the house, and refurbishing the bathroom.

I just realised... I have no life... damn... :)

I've allready found out who of my young relatives that need money for next summer to paint my house next year :)

I always have something to do on my spare time, and I take my sweet time to do it, dont rush anything, as opposed to work, and it's so nice, when you are tired you stop :)

so I told you about my sorry life :) now lets hear your's

Brian_UK
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh, I just relax by taking a small boat out to sea for a little bit of fishing.

It doesn't matter if I catch anything or not ;)

bernard
07-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi

Hi Brian is there still bass about?

I,m on a weeks holiday at mo,I decided to redecorate the living room, which still has artex on the walls from previous owner:eek: I tried a steamer and scraper:eek:3 hours with very little removed,now have plasterer coming out on monday.Just have a new fire place to build and sockets to put in before he gets here.I think I,ll also grow a beard:D

Regards Bernard

Brian_UK
07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Haven't heard of any bass lately but I expect the charter skippers are finding them.

Had the usual the other evening, 1 mackeral, 1 dogfish and a damned cuttlefish that soaked me by jetting vertically as I tried to unhook it.

Abe
07-10-2006, 11:12 PM
What I do in my spare time??

When Im not reading case notes......which is a real drag. I do everything except one thing I have not mastered....which is bricklaying.

I bought my present house six years ago and its still not finished.It has however more then doubled in value since

Ive just put up two rooms , a shed and a store at bottom of garden, did the roof last week. Im going to turn one of the rooms into a carpentry woodworking shop and kit it out with lathes and stuff.

I just tiled the conservatory, and needless to say I have airconditioned the house, room by room.

These days when the bedroom has a chill, and the central heater doesnt quite have the umphhh to warm it quick enough, I press the button on my remote controller and let the Daikin do the rest.

Brian_UK
07-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Come on Abe, you haven't answered the question you posed yourself ;)

Or should I rephrase it to - "What spare time?"

Andy P
08-10-2006, 12:22 AM
My mid-life crisis took the form of buying an alto sax a few years ago - its the most fun you can have (legally) while standing up:p !

cheers
Andy P

US Iceman
08-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Spend some time of the RE site answering questions and poking Tycho once in awhile.:D

I like to garden and get my hands dirty. This to me is the next best thing to sitting in the woods.

I should do what Andy P did. I should get my trumpet back out and see if I can remember how to play it.:o

Abe
08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Come on Abe, you haven't answered the question you posed yourself ;)

Or should I rephrase it to - "What spare time?"

Im a bit confused, but ok. I think spare time is a rare thing these days.

:)

slingblade
08-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Property ownership is a constant annoyance Abe.
I bought my house about 3 years ago and it's been job after job ever since. Biggest of all being the new bathroom i fitted, to get the corner shower bath in i removed a wall and built a partition in its place. Not a small job:eek: .
Still i look forward to selling it (35% profit allready) and the look of astonishment when a future plumber tries to do something only to find out that 15mm tube and fittings dont match the 1/2 inch fridge tube which i used.:D

Abe
08-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Just the following jobs left Sling

New combi boiler, throwing the old system with tank in the roof out

Loft conversion

possible, ( by that I mean ) I havent discussed this with missus yet, but break a wall in my bedroom which borders a small room, and turn it into en suite

ps: She is going to have a fit

Want to block pave the front

New bathroom

and on going maintenance..........

Ive already spent over 25 grand.....so far and that is providing all my own labour

When the Irish bricklayer comes, Im his labourer for the day and so save 50 quid. This guy is a brilliant brickie. Anyone in my area want a decent brickie, Pauls your man.

He charges up to 200 pounds a day, but he is quick, and very professional

The loft conversion is going to cost me the most I think, at least 10 grand for a bare bones job i reckon.

So , that is what I do in my spare time!! Chuckles

Karl Hofmann
08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Nearly finished my house after a mamoth ten year haul. Each bedroom ceiling has been timbered to accept a 600 x 600 cassette when I have the spare cash. Each room has been taken back to bare brick and either dry lined or plastered. New combi went in at Easter and the Kitchen was moved in to what was the back livingroom, what was the kitchen is now the utillity, knocking out walls, fireplaces replastering new electrics, ceiling and floor took me a month off work, all to satisfy the light of my life....Result? She divorced me:eek: So now I find that I have far more spare time to go out with friends, dog and generally lark about....Even better I now no longer have to be polite to my mother in law :D Now THAT is a result:p

Abe
08-10-2006, 09:33 PM
What happens in cases of divorce?

Does the spouse get it, or does the court force a sale and proceeds split?

Karl Hofmann
08-10-2006, 11:09 PM
We used our noodles and kept the solicitors out of it, the divorce cost us exactly £300 and we split up the household stuff reasonably. Had the house valued and agreed that she was entitled to half of the profit but I will re mortgage the house as it is pretty much to my spec right down to the remote controlled gas fire and fitted coffee machine. We did our best to be fair to each other and as such, unfortunately she still speaks to me :D

Fortunately things were made simple by the fact that we have no kids

Oh yeah! I kept the dog :)

Abe
08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Good thinking

A Solicitor route would have enriched the lawyer by a minimum of 3 grand at least.

Young couples buying their first homes are opting for equitable share ownership these days in case of a split.

The property is purchased as tenants in common , instead of the usual joint tenants route.

Karl Hofmann
09-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, that is a good idea. Unfortunately a lot of young couples never think that it will happen to them and so do not plan for that eventuality. By the time it does happen emotion leads to unreasonable behaviour and it is all a devil to untangle. Kids further complicate matters and the whole lot is a total mess. Ha! the solicitor who is doing the transfer of equity on the house was amazed that we managed to get divorced without the need of professional assistance, even more so that we started only in the middle of May and our absolute will be on the doormat in a few more weeks.

As I explained, it takes a cool head to be an air conditioning installer......Managed to sell 'em five Toshiba splits so far too :D :D :D